Here’s a look at what the Canvas community Art Studio & Gallery is offering this month.
• Swing Dance (drop in): 6:30-8:30 p.m. every Tuesday, July 5-26. Lindy Hop, Charleston and East Coast. Details at Southeast Swing on Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Free, donations benefit the Canvas.
• Magnificent Obsessions with Paul Shore (3 classes): 6:30-9 p.m., Tuesday, July 5, Thursday, July 7 and Tuesday, july 12. Is art making obsessive? Activities that affirm this question will be the focus of this workshop. Beginning through advanced students. $105
• Portrait Drawing: Alternatives & Collaboration with Paul Shore (3 classes): 6:30-9 p.m., Wednesday, July 6, Monday, July 11 and Wednesday, July 13. Students will explore portraiture and drawing techniques using pencil, charcoal, gesso and pastels. Beginning through advanced students. $105
• Hip Hop with Kim Andree (drop in): For teens 10-18, 4-5 p.m., Friday, July 8. Every second Friday. All levels. Pay as you can. For adults: 6-7 p.m., Friday, June 29. Every last Friday. All levels. Pay as you can.
• Raku Workshop with Louise Kuntz-Tadda (3 weeks): 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Saturdays, July 9-23. Learn about Raku pottery, create, fire and glaze your own pieces. Some experience with pottery necessary (minimum one beginning class). $210.
• Kids Portraits: Paper & Clay with Katie Coughlin & Paul Shore (3 classes): 1-4 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, July 12-14. Students will explore drawing techniques using pencil, charcoal, pastels and clay. Kids 7 and up. $85.
• Porcelain Pitchers with Katie Coughlin (5 weeks): 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays, July 13-Aug. 10. Learn about working with porcelain clay in this 5-week wheel class, focusing on on sauciers (pitcher with bowl). Need experience working with porcelain. $185.
• Leaf Platters with Louise Kuntz-Tadda (2 weeks): 1-4 p.m., Sundays, July 17-24. Build a large platter or several small stacking leaf platters, using inspiration from nature. $85.
• Kids Cupcake Containers with Katie Coughlin (2 weeks): 10 a.m.-noon, Mondays, July 18 and 25. Kids will create a special storage vessel with a lid, disguised as a cupcake. Kids 7 and up. $55.
• Kids Outdoor Art (one day or all week): 12:30-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday, July 18-22. Teaching artists will take kids into the field to explore the elements, creating installation art pieces on site exploring mud, wind, water, sand and fire. With ORCA. Kids 8-18. $125.
• Music from Zimbabwe: Various classes and times (see website for details). Zivanai Masango, Helen Masvikeni and Tendai Muparutsa are offering classes for children and adults in marimba, drumming, dance and mbira.
• Exploring Large Scale Painting with Chris Taylor (7 weeks): 6:30-9 p.m., Tuesdays, July 19-Aug 30. Students will work from a photographic reference of their choice, and will begin the paintings in acrylic and complete them in oils. $245.
• Capoeira (one class): 6-8 p.m., Monday, July 25, Capoeira is a martial art from Brazil that combines song, dance, and fight. Shoes optional. Beginners welcome. Suggested donation $5.
• Lithophane with Katie Coughlin (one class): 6-9 p.m., Friday, July 29. Learn to use a carved plaster slab to create a translucent porcelain relief tile in this one day pottery workshop. All levels. $45.
• Kids clay and adult wheel throwing classes: Various classes and times (see website for details).
Saturday, July 2: Art in Motion, 10 a.m.-noon, the Canvas. Art projects especially for tots (ages 2-5) in the parking lot.
Wednesday, July 6: Artist talk in the gallery with Paul Shore, 12:15-1 p.m., the Canvas. Visiting New York artist Paul Shore will present a slideshow of his work. Bring your lunch.
Saturday, July 9: Play with your Food: Paul Shore, 3-5 p.m., the Canvas. Stack, carve, crush, mold and model your way to create works of art made entirely of food. Pay as you can.
Sunday, July 10: Music street party, noon-4 p.m., Seward Street. At this free event there will be a performances by Njuzu, a local marimba band, all sorts of wild and crazy music making, art and more.
Friday, July 15: Woosh Kinaadeiyí Poetry Slam with NaMee & Na Haan, 6-8:30 p.m. at Marine Park. Every third Friday of the month.
Sunday, July 17: Concert: Music from Zimbabwe, 4-5 p.m., The Canvas. Celebrate marimba, mbiri, percussion and song with guest musicians Zivanai Masango, Helen Masvikeni and Tendai Muparutsa. $10 suggested donation.
Friday, July 22: Canvas Film Festival, 7 p.m., the Canvas. REACH artists share their music videos in this showcase. $5 suggested donation
Every Tuesday: Haiku on the street with Christy Eriksen, noon-1 p.m., in front of the Canvas. Instant, customized poem on a topic of your choice. Pay-as-you-can.