The Alaska Native Libraries Archives & Museums Summit and the Alaska State Historical Records Advisory Board are sponsoring Basic Archives Training on May 1-2 at the Alaska State Library in Anchorage. Dr. Laura Millar, author and trainer, will present basic archival training consisting of the following:
• Issues of archival service (ethics, legislation, standards)
• Concepts of provenance and original order
• Appraisal and acquisition
• Levels of arrangement
• Arrangement and description (including hands-on practice)
• Preservation (focus on environmental controls/emergency planning)
• Reference and access
• Outreach and service (including digitization for access/public information)
• Digital archives
This training is targeted to assist individuals that work with archival material in libraries, archives, museums or other cultural institutions in all aspects of professional archival practices.
Sixteen scholarships are available to assist with transportation, lodging and per diem; the scholarship application deadline is April 2. The workshop is limited to 25 attendees.
To access the training notice, registration form, and scholarship application questionnaire see: archives.state.ak.us/for_professionals/for_archives_professionals.html