This week’s Jazz & Classics offerings include a Jazz Jam at the Lucky Lady, a not-so-silent film at the Gold Town Nickelodeon and a couple of Blues Cruises. Read on for details as the 27th annual festival continues.
• Thursday: The Jasper String Quartet, Evan Drachman and Juneau’s own Paul Rosenthal will perform “Brahms Away!” at 7:30 p.m. at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church. Works will include Haydn’s String Quartet Op. 77 No. 2; Webern’s Five Movements; and Brahms’ Sextet in B-Flat Major, Op. 18.
• Friday: Richard Dowling and Evan Drachman will perform the week’s third free lunchtime concert at noon, this time at the Nugget Mall. That night, at 8 p.m., blues band Lil’ Ed & The Blues Imperials will perform at the Elizabeth Peratrovich Hall.
• On Saturday, the ever-popular Blues Cruises will be offered. Both feature the music of Lil’ Ed & the Blues Imperials. The early cruise is at 5 p.m. and the late one is at 9 p.m., both from Auke Bay.
• On Sunday the action takes place out at the UAS campus, beginning with a family concert for all ages at the UAS Egan Library. It runs from 3-4 p.m. Then, at 6:30 p.m. in the same location, the festival’s only combined jazz-classical concert will be held: Puttin’ on the Ritz, featuring the Grace Kelly Quintet and classical guest artists Richard Dowling, Evan Drachman, Jose Franch-Ballester and Robert Belinic.
• On Monday, another brown bag concert will be offered at the State Office Building Atrium at noon, featuring the Grace Kelly Quintet. That night, another change of venue: the Gold Town Nickelodeon will host a silent film, “Safety Last!” as part of their “not-so-silent” film series, with musical accompaniment by pianist Richard Dowling. It begins at 6:30 p.m. and tickets are available through the theater (www.goldtownnick.com).
• On Tuesday, there will be a second round of workshops, this time for clarinet, guitar, jazz and piano. They are open to participants of all ages and abilities and run from 7-9 p.m. in the UAS Egan Classroom Wing.
• Wednesday’s brown bag concert at noon will feature Robert Belinic on guitar, and José Franch-Ballester on clarinet. And that night, stop by the Lucky Lady to hear the free Jazz Jam with the Grace Kelly Quintet at 7 p.m.
Next week: Mendelssohn & More! with Paul Rosenthal, Evan Drachman and Richard Dowling, Robert Belinic, and Jose Franch-Ballester; an evening of jazz at the JACC; and the grand finale with Booker T. Jones. See next week’s Arts for more.
Tickets to most events are available online at www.jazzandclassics.org, at the JACC and Hearthside Books, or by phone at 586-ARTS (2787), 463-FEST (3378).