The University of Alaska Southeast will host Community Day on Campus this Saturday, May 18, from 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Community Day is a free and festive day of music, exhibits, arts, food, information and activities for the whole family in the Mourant Courtyard at UAS. This annual event is collaboration between Juneau Jazz & Classics, the Juneau Arts & Humanities Council and the University of Alaska Southeast.
New this year from UAS are a duck racing booth, cotton candy sales and a first-ever Community Day Dunk Tank. Community members willing to take a dip in the tank are encouraged to bring a change of clothes and a towel. UAS Mascot Spike Whale should be on hand to shake flippers with the kiddies.
Also new this year is a JAHC-organized Mosquito Market happening in the lower parking lot of the UAS Campus. Bring your stuff, sell out of the trunk of your car or bring a table for your merchandise. People who would like to participate in the market or on the lawn are invited to sign up and there is no charge. Registration is here: jahc.org/community-day-on-campus/
In addition, the new USDA Forest Service Pacific Northwest Research Station, Juneau Forestry Sciences Lab, will be open for tours from noon to 3 p.m., with a ribbon-cutting and house oosts dedication ceremony at 3 p.m. This new facility is located adjacent to campus, on the path from the Library to Back Loop Road.
Finally, there’s lots of local music planned. Here’s a look at the offerings at this event.
• 11 a.m.: JAMM – Juneau, Alaska Music Matters featuring the combined strings from Glacier Valley, Riverbend and Auke Bay Elementary Schools
• 11:20 a.m., Aurora Strings
• 11:50 a.m., Thunder Mountain High School Orchestra
• 12:20-p.m., Ursa Minor Strings
• 12:40 p.m., Floyd Dryden 7th and 8th Grade Orchestra
• 1 p.m., Alaska Youth Choir
• 1:20 p.m., Last Chance Jazz Band
• 1:40 p.m., Alaskapella, UAS Student Acapella
• 2 p.m., Thunder Mountain Big Band
• 2:50 p.m., Thunder Mountain High School Jazz Band
• 3:20 p.m., Juneau-Douglas High School Jazz Band
In case of rain, all events scheduled to take place in the Mourant Courtyard will take place in the Egan Library. Schedule and performers subject to change.
Drivers take note: Auke Lake Way (the prior front entrance to the UAS Auke Lake Campus) is permanently closed to vehicular traffic. Drivers should use the new main north Back Loop road entrance.
For more information, visit www.jazzandclassics.org.