This week’s list of good reads comes from Anchorage author and UAS professor Don Rearden, in town this week to lead a workshop for 49 Writers.
1. "Ordinary Wolves" by Seth Kantner: Hands down one of the best Alaskan novels ever written and one of my favorite books of all time.
2. "Turn Again" by Kris Farmen: Wilderness and cultures clash in this beautiful novel set in late 1800s Alaska
3. "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden: The most haunting and memorable WWI novel you’ll ever read by one of Canada’s finest and most famous authors.
4. "The Humming Bird’s Daughter" by Luis Alberto Urrea: This is one of those novels where each sentence is somehow better than the last. Urrea will be in Sitka at the Island Institute this July, if you can catch an event of his there, GO!
5. "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn: Quinn’s ideas have been instrumental in my teaching and writing, and the discoveries I’ve made because of this book never seem to end.