The Alaska State Council on the Arts is seeking nominations for the 2014-2016 Alaska State Writer Laureate. Eligibility is open to Alaskan writers from all genres who, throughout their careers, have demonstrated:
• Literary excellence and mastery in style, form, and genre
• Exemplary professionalism and exceptional talent in published works
• Service to Alaskan communities and a commitment to the advancement of the Literary Arts in Alaskan communities
• A history of providing public presentations or teaching
• A significant body of published work
Deadline for nominations is Oct. 1.
The Alaska State Writer Laureate is a two-year honorary appointment recognizing the selected writer’s contribution to the quality of life in Alaska through their written work and other literary endeavors. The role of the Laureate is to promote the literary arts and artists of Alaska. In fulfilling this purpose, each Laureate determines, in consultation with ASCA, a project to complete over the course of their appointment.
Nominations are solicited by the Alaska State Council on the Arts on a biennial basis. The Alaska State Writer Laureate is selected by the Alaska State Council on the Arts’ Literary Arts Advisory Committee and approved by the council and the governor. The next State Writer Laureate will be announced at the Governor’s Awards for the Arts and Humanities to be held at the Juneau Arts and Culture Center on Jan. 29, 2015.
The nomination form is available on the Council’s website at http://education.alaska.gov/aksca/. For more information, contact the Alaska State Council on the Arts at 888-278-7424 or at 907-269-6610.