I could name many reasons for liking our new publisher, Rustan, but I would be lying if I didn't say a big factor was his decision to let me bring my dog to work. Is that selfish? Nah, I've had a lot of co-workers express happiness at having Beau the Dog in the office. I think this decision is indicative of a desire to foster job satisfaction and a community feel at the Empire.
Why is having Beau the Dog at work positive?
• When Beau the Dog is at work with me, he's not getting bored and into trouble. When he's at home alone when I work weird or long hours he has ample time and pent up anxious energy to tip over a trash can or get himself locked in the bathroom. I'm happy to work the weirdest schedule in the world if I know the little guy is still getting cared for properly. He's really content to just hang out and nap as long as I'm near.
• Having a dog builds in some natural breaks that I might not otherwise remember to take. Sometimes I'll sit at this desk, at this computer, for long periods of time because deadlines are looming and who cares if my eyes are getting bleary from the constant screen time. Beau the Dog can get walked regularly and I actually remember to take breaks for lunch or to just get out of this chair.
• My co-workers adore Beau the Dog, or at least don't mind him. I've had co-workers take Beau the Dog out for their breaks, or stop by to visit him. He greets people on the way in and on his way out — often triggering smiles. He's sat in on some budget meetings and been the picture of obedience. I've had co-workers comment that they love having Beau the Dog at the office.
• Most of the time, you don't know he's there. Right now the little guy is napping under the desk, quiet as can be. He occasionally lets out a little bark to warn me that Klas the Sports editor is using the printer, but is otherwise happy to hang out and get scratches from passers-by.
• I'm happier for it. I adore Beau the Dog and I like feeling like he's getting the best care I can provide. With my often weird and sometimes obsessive hours spent working on Neighbors or editing, it's nice to have this little guy around to relieve my stress.
Have you worked in a dog-friendly office? What other positives have you noticed?