The City and Borough of Juneau has announced special events by various departments and changes in hours of operation during the holidays:
• City offices will be closed Dec. 26 and Jan. 2, 2012.
• Care-A-Van and Capital Transit will end early on Saturday. The latest bus to downtown from the valley is 7:22 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. from Douglas. The latest bus from downtown to the valley is 7:35 p.m. and to Douglas is 8:05 p.m. Care-A-Van service ends at 9 p.m. Neither service will run Sunday, but will be on full schedule on Dec. 26. Both services also will shut down on Jan. 1, 2012, and will be fully operational the following day. For additional information contact Capital Transit at 789-6901 or Care-A-Van at 463-6194.
• Docks and Harbors/Juneau Chamber of Commerce Christmas Boat Lighting Contest will be from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Those nights, judges will be out looking at boat lights. Participants need not sign up to enter, simply decorate. Judging will be on Christmas spirit, luminescence and imagination. For those not docked in city owned harbors, but are in the Port of Juneau, call either the Chamber or Docks and Harbors to ensure inclusion in judging. Cash and other prizes will be awarded to the top three entrants in the recreational and commercial categories.
• Eaglecrest will host a special event on Saturday. Ornaments crafting (3:30 p.m.), sing-a-longs (4:30 p.m.), Christmas treats, and the traditional Torchlight Parade down Hooter (5 p.m.), followed by the Kid's Torchlight Parade (5:30 p.m.) down the brand new Porcupine Chair will be part of the festivities.
In order for your child to receive a toy, you can download a Gift Registration Form online at bit.ly/sbsEHG or pick one up at the lodge and return it along with $7 per child to the Eaglecrest Snowsports School window. You may also fax the form with credit card information to 586-4583 or you may register by calling 790-2000, extension 211. Please have children registered by 3 p.m. on Thursday.
Eaglecrest will be closed Sunday.
• Juneau International Airport will be open as usual for the traveling public, though administration offices will be closed Dec. 26 and Jan. 2, 2012.
• The Juneau Police Department will remain available 24 hours a day. The JPD Front Desk and Records Unit will be closed from 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday until 7 a.m. on Dec. 27 and also Dec. 30 - Jan. 3, 2012.
• All branches of the Juneau Public Libraries will be closed all day on both Sunday and Dec. 26 and on Jan. 1 and 2, 2012, in observation of the Christmas and New Year’s Day holidays. The libraries will close early at 4 p.m. on Saturday and on Dec. 31. All library branches will be open regular hours on Dec. 27 and Jan. 3, 2012.
• Augustus Brown Pool will close at 4:15 p.m. on Saturday and Dec. 31. It also will be closed all day Sunday and Dec. 26, and Jan. 1 and 2, 2012. Augustus Brown special open swims are from 2:05-3:35 p.m. today through Friday and again from Dec. 27-30. Winter Break swimming lessons are from 8:15-10:30 a.m. on those days. Registration is ongoing and forms are available online at www.juneau.org/parksrec/pool.
• Dimond Park Aquatic Center is closing at 4 p.m. Saturday and Dec. 31. It also will be closed all day Sunday and Dec. 26, and Jan. 1 and 2, 2012. The Aquatic Center will be operating from noon-6 p.m. on Dec. 26 and Jan. 2. Winter Break Camp will be from 8 a.m.-noon: with session one from Dec. today until Friday, session two from Dec. 27-30; registration is ongoing, forms are available online at www.juneau.org/parksrec/DimondPark.
• Dimond Park Aquatic Center community free swims will be Wednesday from noon-1:30 p.m.; 2-3:30 p.m.; 4-5:30 p.m.; 6-7:30 p.m. sponsored by Juneau Central Labor Council. A Dec. 28 free swim, sponsored by the Juneau Construction and Building Trades Council, will have the same swim schedule. Bands will be distributed a half hour prior to scheduled swims.
• The Juneau-Douglas City Museum will be closed Sunday and Dec. 26 and Jan. 1 and 2, 2012. The museum is otherwise open during its regular winter hours from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Tuesdays through Saturdays with free winter admission thanks to Don and Alma Harris.
• Treadwell Ice Arena will offer a Christmas Eve open skate on Saturday from 4-6 p.m. before closing for the holiday. It will be closed Sunday and reopen at 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 26 for the Parent/Tot skate. The arena also will host a Ring in the New Year Disco Skate on Dec. 31 from 4-6 p.m., before closing until 11:30 a.m. on Jan. 2, 2012. See the full schedule online at www.juneau.org/parkrec/icerink/rinkschedule.php.
• Zach Gordon Youth Center is offering special activities over the winter break from today until Dec. 31. Holiday cooking and arts and craft activities will be offered each day from today until Friday. A Holiday Community Dinner will be served at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday. Cooking and outdoor recreation activities will be offered Jan. 3-6, 2012.
The center will be closed on Dec. 26 and Jan. 2, 2012.