Juneau man indicted after allegedly shooting second man in face

Victim released from hospital

The Juneau man arrested last week on suspicion of shooting another man in the face was indicted Friday.

A grand jury found that Kenneth E. Nalan, 35, recklessly caused serious physical injury to John Nicholas Duran with a firearm, according to the indictment. Nalan faces one count of first-degree assault, a class ‘A’ felony that can carry up to 20 years in prison.

The case has been assigned to Juneau Superior Court Judge Louis Menendez. Nalan is scheduled to be arraigned in Superior Court Jan. 3, and his earlier bail hearing scheduled for that same day has been vacated.

Nalan is being held at Lemon Creek Correctional Center on $20,000 bail. His attorney is Eric Hedland, court records show.

Juneau Police Department said in a release last week that a man identified as John Nicholas Duran, 33, was shot in the face with a .357-caliber gun at a home in the Mendenhall Valley last Tuesday evening. They arrested Nalan in connection with the shooting the following day.

The victim, originally listed in critical condition, was medevaced to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, but his condition has improved to stable since then, hospital officials said.

He underwent facial reconstruction surgery Thursday, and hospital officials said on Friday evening that Duran was no longer a patient at Harborview.

The Duran family declined to comment when reached by phone on Thursday.

Nalan’s family says the incident was an accident. Attorney David Seid said in court Thursday that Nalan has “little to no” criminal record, and there’s a possibility for an argument to be made that the shooting was an accident or in self-defense.

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.

More

This Day in Juneau History: Jan. 22, 1987

On Jan. 22, 1987, Gov. Steve Cowper prepared to discuss the final part of his fiscal plan: budget cuts. The total amount suggested to be cut by his temporary cabinet was $300 million, which tore funding from a variety of different programs. However, although what propositions Cowper accepted were still a mystery, Press Secretary David Ramseur confirmed that the cuts he did accept totaled at about $200 million. Cowper was to give a speech directly to the Alaska Legislature discussing the specifics of his recommended cuts.

Read more

Fire calls for Jan. 22, 2017

This report contains public information available to the Empire from law enforcement and public safety agencies. This report includes arrest and citation information, not conviction information. Anyone listed in this report is presumed innocent. Anyone with information about a crime can report a tip anonymously to juneaucrimeline.com.

Read more

Man caught with 3 pounds of meth on Southeast Alaska-bound ferry sentenced to 20 months

A 21-year-old man who was caught transporting three pounds of methamphetamine — reportedly the largest seizure in Southeast Alaska in at least 10 years— on the ferry between Bellingham and Ketchikan last May was “a patsy, plan and simple,” his defense attorney argued.

Read more

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING