Update: Standoff ends peacefully Friday morning

1 man arrested on weapons, assault charges

UPDATE: A standoff ended when officers of the Juneau Police Department entered a residence in the 4000 block of Delta Drive and arrested a man on weapons misconduct and assault charges at about 6 a.m. Friday morning, according to a release from the department.


Officers took Ryan Hamley, 27, to Lemon Creek Correctional Center, the release states. He was arrested without further incident on two counts of second-degree misconduct involving weapons, a class 'B' felony, and three counts of third-degree assault, a class 'C' felony.

A 48-year-old woman and a 26-year-old man were in the residence. They were not arrested, and the release states the woman's cooperation was helpful in resolving the situation. Two 20-year-old women and a 3-year-old child had previously fled the residence, the release states.

An investigation is ongoing.


Police say an intoxicated man fired a gun inside a valley apartment that may have had a child inside it, prompting Juneau Police Department SWAT and negotiating teams to respond to the scene Thursday evening. No injuries were reported, police said.

The man and others have since barricaded themselves inside the residence, a fourplex in the 4400 block of Delta Drive in the valley off Mendenhall Loop Road, for the past eight hours, JPD Sgt. David Campbell told the Empire at 3 a.m. At least eight SWAT members and two negotiators were still on scene then, according to Campbell.

“We’re still trying to negotiate with them,” he said.

Around 7:44 p.m. Thursday, JPD received a 911 call from a 20- or 21-year-old woman who reported a man she knew fired a gun inside her apartment. Police have not released the man’s name, or specified the relationship between the two, only stating it was not a domestic relationship and the incident was not a domestic violence situation.

“She identified him, she told us who he was. She knew him, but he does not live there,” Campbell said, adding the man was in his mid-20s. “She said that he was intoxicated and had a handgun that he discharged inside of the apartment.”
At the time the firearm was discharged, there were two adults, and possibly a child inside the apartment, Campbell said, though two more people entered the house after the incident. Two women fled the apartment, went to a neighbor’s house and called police, Campbell said.

It’s not clear how many people are still inside the apartment, he said.

“There were two adults, I believe a child — I’m not 100 percent sure about that — and then two more adults showed up, so a total of five people (at one time during the evening), including the person who discharged the pistol,” Campbell said.

Patrol officers, some of whom were SWAT members, first responded the call, and made brief contact with the man when he came to the front door, according to Campbell.

“Before anything could really develop or happen, the guy went back into the apartment,” Campbell said.

Because a firearm was involved, police set up a perimeter and shut off Delta Drive to the public. An incident commander called three negotiating team members out around 9 p.m., Campbell said. Neighbors reported seeing SWAT team members before 10:30 p.m. The JPD mobile incident command post arrived on the street around 11:30 p.m.

Police have been unable to contact the man or any of the occupants of the apartment since the first contact at the front door. That’s despite telephone calls, talking through a bullhorn and shining spotlights on the house. 

“So far they’ve been nonresponsive,” Campbell said. “They haven’t talked to us. No one’s talked to us at this point in time.”

He added that the lights inside the apartment had been turned off, and police have not detected movement for hours.

“It could be they’re in the apartment hunkering down trying to hide from us, or it could be that maybe they’re just asleep,” he said around 3 a.m. Friday. “It’s hard to tell at this point in time.”

The number of officers at the scene has changed throughout the evening, Campbell said, to keep police available for other calls throughout the city. Police will next change shifts and rotate in new officers sometime between 6 and 7 a.m. Friday.

It’s possible nothing will develop until sunrise when people start waking up, Campbell said, though noting police would still try to make contact with the man.

“At this point, we’re going to maintain the perimeter and try to keep making contact with him,” he said.
He added, “The goal is for it to be resolved peacefully where nobody gets hurt. And being a negotiator myself, I’m a big believer in negotiations, and I think if we make contact with the guy and are able to talk to him and ... Typically in situations like this, people are in crisis, and through negotiations we can bring them out of crisis to where their rational thinking kicks in. The majority of the time, these things end peacefully.”

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback






Thu, 01/18/2018 - 09:34

The local food movement is young