Smoke alarm alerts family to red hot junction box

After responding to an incident Friday, Capital City Fire and Rescue is reminding residents that working smoke alarms save lives.

CCFR received a report of a possible structure fire just before 5 a.m. Friday morning in the 17000 block of Glacier Highway, according to a press release from Deputy Fire Marshal Sven Pearson.

Upon arrival, firefighters found residents had already evacuated the structure. The owners of the home reported smoke on the first floor as well as a “red glowing” electrical junction box that supplied power to the furnace. An investigation found no fire, but light smoke conditions inside the home. They traced a circuit from the electrical panel that appeared to have been heavily charred. Power was shut off to the home until electrical repairs were made. During that same time frame, Alaska Electric Light & Power was responding to a partially downed power line crossing Glacier Highway in the immediate vicinity of the home. CCFR received multiple electrical issue calls from several homes in the area.

The homeowners were alerted to the situation by a smoke alarm, prompting CCFR to remind residents to test smoke alarms on a regular basis.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback






Mon, 05/21/2018 - 06:15

Flyfishing shop reels in 20 years