This report contains information provided to the Empire from law enforcement agencies. This report includes arrest and citation information, not conviction information. Anyone listed in this report is presumed innocent.
Crime of the week:
The Juneau Police Department Crime of the Week for March 30 is in reference to a robbery.
Sgt. Paul Hatch said in a release that on March 11 at about 5 a.m., JPD received a report of a robbery at the Driftwood Lodge in the 400 block of Willoughby Avenue.
A police investigation revealed that a man walked into the business and demanded an unspecified amount of money from the victim, the release states. When the victim refused to provide the money, the suspect lifted his shirt and grabbed what appeared to be a knife hidden in the his waistband, the release states.
The victim told police that he told the suspect to “stop,” and gave him $500 in cash. The suspect then fled on foot and later possibly in a vehicle, the statement says.
Police described the suspect as being a white male in his late 20’s or early 30’s, about 5’6” and weighing between 185 and 215 pounds. He was also described as having some facial hair.
Anyone with information regarding this or any other crime is encouraged to log onto the Juneau Crime Line at juneaucrimeline.com and report their tip.
Tipsters are guaranteed anonymity and can be rewarded.
Crime Line is a nonprofit organization composed of a cross-section of the community and is designed to aid police investigations.
• At 12:21 p.m. Thursday, a 30-year-old woman reported being assaulted by a 32-year-old woman in the 3000 block of Vintage Boulevard.
• At 1:50 a.m. Friday, JPD responded to a reported assault in the 6500 block of Glacier Highway. Investigation continues.
• At 3:23 a.m. Saturday, JPD contacted a 23-year-old woman in the 200 block of Front Street who reported being assaulted. Investigation continues. Alcohol was involved.
• At 12:56 p.m. Friday, an 18-year-old man in the 3600 block of Amalga Street reported vandalism to his personal property.
• At 2:02 a.m. Saturday, JPD assisted an agency in the 3600 block of Amalga Street. Alcohol was involved.
• At 4:28 p.m. Thursday, JPD conducted a confidential investigation into possible child abuse.
• At 12:12 a.m. Friday, Jesse Duane Alsup, 26, was arrested in the 9200 block of Glacier Highway for disorderly conduct and interfering with an officer. He was taken to LCCC. Alcohol was involved.
• At 8:05 p.m. Thursday, JPD assisted with a report of a disturbance in the 6000 block of Pine Street.
• At 4:29 p.m. Thursday, a domestic violence protection order needs to be served on a 24-year-old man.
• At 5:25 p.m. Thursday, JPD served an ex parte domestic violence protective order on a 46-year-old man.
• At 10:22 p.m. Thursday, JPD responded to a report of a domestic disturbance. Alcohol was involved.
• At 11:45 a.m. Friday, a long-term domestic violence protective order needs to be served on a 30-year-old man in the Juneau area.
• At 12:26 p.m. Friday, JPD responded to a domestic disturbance and a 23-year-old man was arrested on two counts of assault, interfering with a report of domestic violence and criminal mischief. He was taken to LCCC.
• At 4:15 p.m. Friday, a domestic violence protective order was served on a 40-year-old woman.
• At 6:37 p.m. Friday, JPD investigated a report of a domestic violence protective order being violated.
Driving without a valid license
• At 8:49 p.m. Friday, Richard Hunter Derbyshire, 57, was cited for driving without a valid license in the 5600 block of Glacier Highway. His vehicle was impounded.
• At 11:22 p.m. Friday, Leesandro Luis Gonzalez, 19, was cited for driving without a valid license on Postal Way, and his vehicle was impounded.
• At 1:52 p.m. Thursday, JPD conducted a confidential investigation into drug activity in the Juneau area.
• At 2:36 a.m. Saturday, Jason Paul Shima, 31, was arrested in the 400 block of Egan Drive for driving while intoxicated and refusal to submit to a chemical test. He was taken to LCCC, and his vehicle was impounded.
Fire and medical
• At 2:19 a.m. Thursday, Capital City Fire and Rescue assisted moving a patient within a residence on Glacier Highway. Transport was not required.
• At 2:59 a.m. Thursday, advanced life support care was given to a woman on Riverside Drive, and she was taken to Bartlett Regional Hospital.
• At 7:38 a.m. Thursday, a man was taken from BRH to Juneau International Airport and medevaced out.
• At 11:34 a.m. Thursday, basic life support care was given to a man on Shell Simmons Drive, and he was taken to BRH.
• At 1:15 p.m. Thursday, a woman medevaced to JIA was taken to BRH.
• At 2:34 p.m. Thursday, CCFR units were dispatched to Glacier Spur Road and were cancelled en route.
• At 3:04 p.m. Thursday, CCFR responded to a fire alarm on Hospital Drive, and investigation found no fire and alarm activated due to construction dust.
• At 3:23 p.m. Thursday, basic life support care was given to a woman on Front Street, and she was taken to BRH.
• At 3:51 p.m. Thursday, CCFR responded to a fire alarm on Glacier Highway, and investigation found no fire and alarm activated due to sprinkler system malfunction.
• At 4:42 p.m. Thursday, CCFR responded to a fire alarm on Willoughby Avenue, and investigation found no fire. The alarm sounded due to burnt food.
• At 5:38 p.m. Thursday, a woman at BRH was taken to JIA and medevaced out.
• At 6:53 p.m. Thursday, advanced life support care was given to a woman on Mendenhall Loop Road, and she was taken to BRH.
• At 8:05 p.m. Thursday, basic life support care was given to a man on Pine Street, and he was taken to BRH.
• At 11:16 p.m. Thursday, advanced life support care was given to a man on Ninth Street, and he was taken to BRH.
Illegal escape rings
• On Wednesday, Alaska Wildlife Troopers in Juneau said Michael Nilsen, 56 of Petersburg, failed to appear for an arraignment for operating a commercial king crab pot that failed to have the required legal escape rings. He was fined $750.
• At 11:29 p.m. Friday, George Steven Strom, 28, was arrested in the 100 block of Franklin Street for being drunk on a licensed premise.
• At 1:31 a.m. Friday, John Stepetin Jr. was cited and released for minor consuming at Warners Wharf.
• At 12:12 a.m. Saturday, a 14-year-old girl was cited in the 100 block of Egan Drive for minor consuming.
Motor vehicle crash
• At 10:10 a.m. Friday, a 38-year-old man reported his parked vehicle was struck in the Juneau area, resulting in damage to his vehicle.
• At 2:22 p.m. Friday, JPD responded to a two-vehicle motor vehicle crash on Jordan Avenue. The first vehicle was a 2000 Dodge pickup driven by a 24-year-old man, and the second vehicle was a 2005 Chevy Malibu driven by a 64-year-old woman. The driver of the first vehicle was cited for failure to exercise due care, and the estimated total damage was $6,000.
• At 8:44 a.m. Friday, a 27-year-old man reported he was robbed by three unknown males on Davis Avenue. Investigation continues.
• At 3:19 p.m. Thursday, Natalia Lynn Charles, 29, was arrested in the 300 block of Franklin Street on three outstanding JPD warrants. Two were for failure to appear at a pretrial hearing on the original charge of larceny, and one was for failure to appear for a remand hearing on the original charge of criminal mischief. She was taken to LCCC.
• At 1:28 a.m. Friday, a summons was served on a 29-year-old woman in the 1700 block of Glacier Avenue, and a verbal warning was issued. Alcohol was involved.
• At 6:30 p.m. Thursday, a 41-year-old woman reported a cell phone stolen in the 1600 block of Renninger Street.
• At 8:01 p.m. Thursday, a 58-year-old man reported his PS3, worth an estimated $400, stolen from his residence in the 8900 block of Duran Street.
• At 3:46 p.m. Friday, a 54-year-old woman reported her purse stolen from her residence in the 2800 block of Postal Way.
• At 8 p.m. Friday, a 37-year-old man reported his cell phone stolen in the 3100 block of Riverside Drive.
• At 8:57 p.m. Friday, a 21-year-old woman reported her wallet stolen from her unlocked vehicle in the 9000 block of Cinema Drive.
• At 5:38 a.m. Saturday, a 28-year-old woman reported her vehicle was rifled through and some miscellaneous items were taken in the 2400 block of Douglas Highway.
• At 8:25 a.m. Saturday, a 28-year-old woman reported a 34-year-old man stole her Nintendo Wii, worth an estimated $215, in the 6500 block of Glacier Highway. Investigation continues.
• At 10:11 a.m. Saturday, a 43-year-old woman reported her purse stolen in the 8100 block of Glacier Highway. Investigation continues.
• At 8:42 p.m. Thursday, a 51-year-old man reported the turn signal on his vehicle broken in the 3100 block of Riverside Drive, causing about $200 in damages. Alcohol was involved.
• At 8:52 a.m. Friday, a 27-year-old man reported a 44-year-old woman vandalized his property in the 2500 block of Alder Circle.
• At 1:27 p.m. Thursday, JPD responded to a possible weapons violation in the 11900 block of Glacier Highway. Investigation continues.