Former JPD lieutenant pleads not guilty to 20 felony counts

Trial for Troy Wilson set for 2 weeks, to start Dec. 3

The former Juneau police lieutenant accused of shooting 75 to 100 rounds at police officers and a police vehicle over the Easter weekend has entered his plea — not guilty.


Troy A. Wilson, 45, pleaded not guilty to all 22 charges against him Monday in Juneau Superior Court before Judge Philip Pallenberg, who is now assigned to the case.

Wilson, a 17-year Juneau Police Department veteran, was indicted by a grand jury on Friday. He faces a total of 20 felony charges against him in connection to the shooting. Six of those charges are for first-degree attempted murder for firing at three JPD officers, two detectives and one sergeant.

Wilson was arrested early Easter morning following a five-hour shooting spree. Prosecutors say the former SWAT instructor barricaded himself in his house and fired about 75 to 100 shots at his former coworkers with high-powered rifles and handguns. No one was injured in the incident, police said.

Wilson was not in court Monday, but he appeared by phone from Anchorage, where his attorney said he is currently in custody.

Pallenberg said in court he did not know the circumstances of why Wilson was in Anchorage, and Wilson’s attorney Julie Willoughby declined to comment after the hearing.

Pallenberg set the case to go to trial in early December. It is scheduled to last two weeks. Wilson waived his right to a speedy trial within 120 days to allow for the winter start date, Dec. 3.

Wilson is still being held in custody in lieu of $1 million bail. Willoughby indicated she would request a bail hearing in the near future.

Willoughby also asked the judge for Wilson to be able to contact his wife, also 45, who appeared in court Monday for the first time since the shooting.

Wilson was prohibited from contacting his wife, who is only identified in court papers as “J.W.,” as a condition of release, should he post bail. She was listed as a victim, along with a list of police officers, of people he would not be allowed to contact.

When Wilson was originally charged by criminal information with 15 charges immediately after the shooting, one count was for third-degree domestic violence assault for placing his wife in fear of imminent serious physical injury by means of a firearm.

That charge has since been dropped.

“When Mr. Wilson was charged by information, she was listed as a victim. She’s no longer listed as a victim. I believe she’s here in the courtroom, and if I could speak for her, I believe she would like to have contact with her husband. Is that correct, Mrs. Wilson?” Willoughby asked, turning around to check.

“Yes,” she responded.

District Attorney David Brower did not object, and the judge granted that request.

Police initially responded to Wilson’s home on Black Wolf Way the evening of April 7 after they received a 911 phone call from Wilson’s wife.

She told the 911 dispatcher her husband was suicidal and had a gun, according to police and charging documents. She was able to escape to a neighbor’s house.

The next court date in Wilson’s case is scheduled for June 7, and a pretrial hearing is slated for two weeks before the trial.

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback






Thu, 05/24/2018 - 12:50

Collision on Glacier leads to broken leg

A motor vehicle collided with a 62-year-old man on Glacier Avenue on Tuesday, resulting in a possible broken leg for the pedestrian, according to a... Read more