Douglas: Music and more at Savikko Park, July 3, 4
• Dedication of cannon and bell, 5:30 p.m. at the Douglas Post Office with presentation by Mark Whitman.
• Soapbox Challenge: heat, trials and registration from 6-9 p.m. at St. Ann’s Ave. Divisions are ages 5-6, 7-8, and 9-10. This is to qualify for finals on July 4. Contact Hugh Dilbeck at 789-4803 or 723-7409 for pre-registration or other info.
• DVFD softball game: Fire Department vs. Community, 6 p.m. at Savikko Park, field 4. Details: Ray Roberts, 723-0943.
• Watermelon eating contest: after the DVFD game at Sandy Beach.
• Parade: 2 p.m. with grand marshals Jim and Arbe Williams.
• Fun run: Registration is from 12:30-1:20 p.m., with the race starting at 1:30 p.m. at the round-about side of the bridge. Finish is at Douglas Fire Hall; entrants count toward Empire Cup series. Details: Paul, 364-3265.
• Barbecue: Douglas Community United Methodist Church hosts is annual deep pit beef barbecue from noon-6 p.m., or until food runs out, at Third and E Streets.
• Hot Dog Sale: 1 p.m. in front of the Fire Hall.
• Annual Sandcastle Challenge: noon registration, Sandy Beach, awards given at 4 p.m. Details: Gerald, 586-3552.
• Field events: 3 p.m. at Savikko Park, field 2. They include 10-, 20-, 30-, 40-, 60-yard dashes and a 3-legged race.
• Soapbox Challenge Finals: 3 p.m., with divisions for ages 5-6, 7-8, and 9-10. Details: Hugh Dilbeck, 789-4803.
• Society for Creative Anachronism: 3 p.m., field 4, main performance (weather permitting), medieval sword fighting and dancing. Details: Karl or Lisa 723-0993.
• Super dog frisbee contest: 3:30 p.m., field 3, registration $10. All dogs must be wearing a 2012 CBJ dog license. Details: Brandon at 789-0260.
• Make and Break: 4 p.m. in front of the Fire Hall, Olde Time Firemen’s Hose Race.
• Barefoot bouncers: 11 a.m.-5 p.m. (weather permitting), $5 for 15 minutes, ages 3-12. Details: 789-0080.
• Bands on the Beach: 3-9 p.m., presented by Alaska Music One.
• Community dance: International and ballroom dance, 8 to midnight at the JACC. Some teaching will be available. Families welcome. $5 for those 12 and over. Details: Bruce, 364-2334.
• Fireworks: 11:59 p.m. on the Gastineau Channel.
• Parade: 11 a.m., starting at Department of Labor Building heading downtown.