CCFR responds to 2 kitchen fires, 1 church boiler room fire

The fire department responded to three separate fires Wednesday morning, two of which were caused by unattended cooking in kitchens. The other was caused by a malfunctioning boiler unit at a local church, Chapel by the Lake.


Capital City Fire and Rescue Fire Marshal Daniel Jager said no injuries or fire damage were reported in any of the instances.

The first call came in at 2:20 a.m. for a possible commercial structure fire at Chapel by the Lake near the university on Auke Lake Way.

Jager said a building worker already in the building heard the fire alarms, investigated and found a small fire in the boiler room. The worker put out the flames with a portable fire extinguisher.

“He (called) 911 to let dispatch know that he did have a fire and believed it was knocked down,” Jager said. “The flame was small but still required our response to make sure everything was OK.”

No fire damage was reported, Jager said.

The second call came in at about 9:05 a.m. for a possible residential structure fire in the 8100 block of Pinewood Drive, which is off of Mendenhall Loop Road in the valley.

Fire fighters found light smoke coming from the front door of the house when they arrived. Jager said the cause was determined to be an unattended frying pan left on the stove. The fire was contained to the stove, and no damage was reported.

The third call was reported minutes later at 9:29 a.m. for a possible fire in an apartment in the 8500 block of Jennifer Drive. That’s about five minutes away from the Pinewood Drive residence.

Jager said an unattended kettle on the stove had created smoke, which a next-door neighbor saw and called 911. The resident of the apartment was not there at the time.

The fire was again contained to the stove, with no damage reported.

The two kitchen stove fires within 25 minutes of each other prompted CCFR to remind residents to use caution while cooking and to never leave the stove unattended while cooking.

“Be sure to remove all pots or pans from the stove when you are done and take a second or two to make sure the stove is turned off before leaving your home,” Jager said. “Also be sure to have working smoke alarms in your home.”

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback