September is National Recovery Month, and Juneau is partaking in several events and campaigns, listed below.
• “Recovery Film Festival”: Each Wednesday, a different film will be shown at the Gold Town Nickelodeon theater downtown. The films will start at 6:30 p.m., and a discussion will follow each showing. For more details, visit www.goldtownnick.com.
• “FASD Awareness Day”: On Sunday, Sept. 9, restaurants throughout the city will be serving free non-alcoholic beverages to pregnant women all day. This campaign aims to raise awareness about fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and the importance of not drinking during pregnancy.
• “Recovery Walk”: On Saturday, Sept. 15, SEARHC will host a Recovery Walk, beginning at 1 p.m. at Marine Park and going across the bridge to Sandy Beach, where a celebration of recovery will take place.
• “Swing into Recovery Dance”: On Friday, Sept. 21, there will be a dance that features live swing music from Swing Ba-da Bing and swing dance lessons from Daniel Martin. Doors open at 7:30 p.m., and it begins at 8 p.m. at Rockwell, downtown, formerly the Elk’s Club.
• “Recovery Poetry Slam”: A poetry slam featuring poems inspired by recovery from alcoholism, drug abuse and/or mental illness will be held Friday, Sept. 28, at Rockwell. It begins at 6:30 p.m. with an Open Mic, and the competition lasts from 7 to 9 p.m.
Juneau Recovery Month is sponsored in part by the Advisory Board on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, Alaska Addiction Professionals Association, Alaska Mental Health Board, Alaska Mental Trust Authority, Catholic Community Service, Central Council of Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska, Gastineau Human Services, Gold Town Nickelodeon, Juneau Alliance for Mental Health, Inc., Juneau Youth Services, NAADAC: The Association for Addiction Professionals, National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Polaris House, Rainforest Recovery Center, REACH, Inc., and SEARHC.
For more information about the events, call the Advocacy Coordinator of the Alaska Mental Health Board at 465-4765 or email at email@example.com.