The fire department extinguished a cooking oil fire that quickly grew out of control in a Lemon Creek area mobile home on Tuesday morning.
Capital City Fire & Rescue Chief Richard Etheridge said the fire was reported at 10:52 a.m. on Churchill Way, off of Davis Avenue. Four fire apparatuses and 16 CCFR personnel and responded.
Etheridge said a woman was cooking when the fire began, and she tried to extinguish it. When her initial attempt failed, she exited the home, which Etheridge described as being the proper thing to do.
The fire was limited to the kitchen area, stove and cabinets, but smoke damaged the remainder of the home.
Etheridge said in a phone interview that damages were estimated to be under $5,000.
• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.