Cooking oil fire extinguished in mobile home

The fire department extinguished a cooking oil fire that quickly grew out of control in a Lemon Creek area mobile home on Tuesday morning.

Capital City Fire & Rescue Chief Richard Etheridge said the fire was reported at 10:52 a.m. on Churchill Way, off of Davis Avenue. Four fire apparatuses and 16 CCFR personnel and responded.

Etheridge said a woman was cooking when the fire began, and she tried to extinguish it. When her initial attempt failed, she exited the home, which Etheridge described as being the proper thing to do.

The fire was limited to the kitchen area, stove and cabinets, but smoke damaged the remainder of the home.

Etheridge said in a phone interview that damages were estimated to be under $5,000.

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.

More

Sun, 02/26/2017 - 20:01

Police calls for Monday, Feb. 27, 2017

This report contains public information available to the Empire from law enforcement and public safety agencies. This report includes arrest and citation information, not conviction information. Anyone listed in this report is presumed innocent. Anyone with information about a crime can report a tip anonymously to juneaucrimeline.com.

Read more

Central Council Tribal Court selected for project to improve outcomes for abused and neglected children

The Central Council of Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska has been selected as one of six new courts to be a part of the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges’ Implementation Sites Project to improve outcomes for abused and neglected children and their families.

Read more

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING