Cooking oil fire extinguished in mobile home

The fire department extinguished a cooking oil fire that quickly grew out of control in a Lemon Creek area mobile home on Tuesday morning.

 

Capital City Fire & Rescue Chief Richard Etheridge said the fire was reported at 10:52 a.m. on Churchill Way, off of Davis Avenue. Four fire apparatuses and 16 CCFR personnel and responded.

Etheridge said a woman was cooking when the fire began, and she tried to extinguish it. When her initial attempt failed, she exited the home, which Etheridge described as being the proper thing to do.

The fire was limited to the kitchen area, stove and cabinets, but smoke damaged the remainder of the home.

Etheridge said in a phone interview that damages were estimated to be under $5,000.

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

 

More

Space heater suspected as cause in construction trailer fire

As the snow began to fall Thursday night, a small fire was burning in the Mendenhall Valley.

Read more

Turkey Shoot returns

The Thanksgiving Turkey Shoot returns this year on Saturday, Nov. 18 at 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Juneau Gun Club and Alaska Department of Fish... Read more

Monthly poetry slam combines forces with student group

For its monthly poetry slam, Woosh Kinaadeiyí is combining forces with a University of Alaska Southeast student group tonight.

Read more