Monday fire causes $30K in damage to home

A fire caused about $30,000 damage to a Mendenhall Valley home off Back Loop Road, according to the chief of the fire department.


Capital City Fire/Rescue Chief Richard Etheridge said the fire was caused by wood framing and cellulose insulation in the attic being too close to a wood stove stack. Three residents were home at the time of the fire, but they were all evacuated safely, Etheridge said.

Capital City Fire/Rescue received a report of the fire on View Drive at about 11:37 a.m. Monday. An off-duty captain arrived on scene moments later and confirmed there was a fire and confirmed the residents had evacuated.

Two fire engines, one ladder truck, two medical units and a total of 26 personnel arrived on scene shortly after the dispatch came through. The fire was under control with 37 minutes and extinguished within 52 minutes, Etheridge said.

Etheridge said in a phone interview that crews on scene found active smoke and fire in the attic space, prompting firefighters to pull the sheetrock ceiling out and cut a hole through the top of the roof to extinguish the fire.

One firefighter sustained an injury during the operation when a nail poked through the palm of his hand. Etheridge said the firefighter has since been treated and released from the hospital.

Etheridge said it was not indicated in the initial report if the home was insured. The fire department was still in the process of documenting the fire report by press time.

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback