• Overcast, mist, light rain
  • 54°
    Overcast, mist, light rain
  • Comment

Christmas Eve apartment blaze caused $5,000 damage

Posted: December 27, 2012 - 1:06am

Holiday lights may have sparked the Christmas Eve fire that caused $5,000 damage to a second floor apartment in the Fosbee Apartments on Distin Ave.

Firefighters responded at 7:20 p.m. to find smoke in the second floor corridor. A maintenance worker had used a fire extinguisher to knock the blaze down, said Fire Marshal Dan Jager.

Firefighters made sure there were no hot spots. The building was evacuated, and Jager said there were no injuries reported. The tenant had no insurance.

— Juneau Empire Staff Report

(This report was updated and its headline changed to correct a mistake in the original press release, which stated that injuries had been reported.)


  • Comment


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback