Man pleads not guilty to strangling girlfriend in December attack

A 29-year-old man is facing four felony assault charges for allegedly hurting his girlfriend by strangling her last month.

Jesse H. Boone pleaded not guilty to the charges during his arraignment in Juneau Superior Court on Christmas Eve.

The girlfriend escaped the Dec. 5 attack by running to a neighbor’s house and having the neighbor call 911, according to an affidavit filed by prosecutors.

The affidavit says police apprehended Boone, and he is currently being held at Lemon Creek Correctional Center in lieu of $15,000 bond.

The woman told responding police officers that Boone came home drunk, threw her to the floor and strangled her until she lost consciousness, according to the affidavit. He kept attacking her each time she would regain consciousness or try to get away, the affidavit states. She told the neighbor and police that she thought he was trying to kill her, the affidavit states.

Police observed redness on her neck that was consistent with her story, the affidavit says. The officers also observed her lip was busted and there was redness as well as scratches and small cuts on her arm and back.

Boone was indicted by a Juneau grand jury convened by the district attorney’s office on Dec. 21. He was indicted on two counts of second-degree assault and two counts of third-degree assault for allegedly causing physical injury to her with his hands and for recklessly placing her in fear of ‘imminent serious physical injury.’

Those are class ‘B’ and ‘C’ felonies that are punishable by up to 10 and five years in prison, respectively.

A tentative trial date was scheduled for March. Court documents show he is represented by Public Defender Grace Lee.

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.

Man pleads not guilty to strangling girlfriend in December attack

More

Sun, 01/22/2017 - 07:41

This Day in Juneau History: Jan. 22, 1987

On Jan. 22, 1987, Gov. Steve Cowper prepared to discuss the final part of his fiscal plan: budget cuts. The total amount suggested to be cut by his temporary cabinet was $300 million, which tore funding from a variety of different programs. However, although what propositions Cowper accepted were still a mystery, Press Secretary David Ramseur confirmed that the cuts he did accept totaled at about $200 million. Cowper was to give a speech directly to the Alaska Legislature discussing the specifics of his recommended cuts.

Read more
Sun, 01/22/2017 - 07:40

Fire calls for Jan. 22, 2017

This report contains public information available to the Empire from law enforcement and public safety agencies. This report includes arrest and citation information, not conviction information. Anyone listed in this report is presumed innocent. Anyone with information about a crime can report a tip anonymously to juneaucrimeline.com.

Read more
Sun, 01/22/2017 - 07:40

Man caught with 3 pounds of meth on Southeast Alaska-bound ferry sentenced to 20 months

A 21-year-old man who was caught transporting three pounds of methamphetamine — reportedly the largest seizure in Southeast Alaska in at least 10 years— on the ferry between Bellingham and Ketchikan last May was “a patsy, plan and simple,” his defense attorney argued.

Read more

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING