Update: Electrical wiring cause of fire response to valley home

Capital City Fire/Rescue said electrical wiring caused smoke to come from an electrical outlet in a valley home Wednesday night, which prompted the fire department to respond.

 

CCFR arrived on scene at the single-family home in the 4500 block of Kanata Street and met with the homeowner, who had turned off the power and pulled the outlet partially out from the junction box. Inside the box was a melted wire nut.

Once the power was turned off, no further excessive heat was detected. The homeowner was advised not to turn the power back on until an electrician had inspected the wiring.

••• Original story posted below •••

Fire department responds to valley home

The fire department responded to a report of a possible fire at a single-family residence in the 4500 block of Kanata Street in the valley at about Wednesday evening.

The 911 caller reported heat was coming from the wall due to hot wiring or a hot outlet, but that no smoke or flames were visible. The family evacuated as a precaution.

The call came over the police scanner at about 6:13 p.m. and Capital City Fire/Rescue was at the scene several minutes later.

CCFR officials could not be reached immediately for comment.

Check the juneauempire.com for further updates on this story Thursday.

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

 

More

Tue, 11/21/2017 - 16:43

Man dies at Rainforest Recovery Center’s sleep-off area

A Juneau man died Sunday afternoon, alone at the Rainforest Recovery Center sleep-off area.

Read more

Police still seeking suspect in Halloween break-in

In the early hours of Halloween, a Juneau man found an unknown man in his living room, and that person is still at large.... Read more