• Overcast, light rain
  • 55°
    Overcast, light rain
  • Comment

Emily Russo Miller / Juneau Empire
Firefighters extinguished a fire in a two-story single-family house at 4615 Thane Road early Sunday morning, possibly caused from smoldering ashes from a fireplace or a grill on an outside porch, according to the fire chief.

Updated: Firefighters extinguish Easter morning house fire on Thane Road

Posted: March 31, 2013 - 7:20am
Firefighters extinguished a fire in a two-story single-family house at 4615 Thane Road early Sunday morning, possibly caused from smoldering ashes from a fireplace or a grill on an outside porch, according to the fire chief.  Emily Russo Miller / Juneau Empire
Emily Russo Miller / Juneau Empire
Firefighters extinguished a fire in a two-story single-family house at 4615 Thane Road early Sunday morning, possibly caused from smoldering ashes from a fireplace or a grill on an outside porch, according to the fire chief.

Firefighters extinguished a fire on the second-story of a single-family home in the 4600 block of Thane Road early Sunday morning, saving the majority of the house which remained standing.

No injuries were reported, and the family evacuated the home before firefighters arrived on scene, Capital City Fire/Rescue Chief Richard Etheridge said.

“Preliminary, it sounds like it might have been ashes from cleaning out a fireplace or a barbecue or something like that, but the deputy fire marshal is taking a look at it right now,” Etheridge said in an interview at the scene.

Assistant Fire Chief Ed Quinto later in the day said in a release that fire investigators determined the fire started when the owner had placed fireplace ashes on the outside deck. The ashes caught the wooden deck on fire, Quinto said in a release.

The homeowner discovered the fire and called 911 a little before 12:30 a.m., and firefighters from every station in Juneau and Douglas responded, including 25 volunteers, Etheridge and Quinto said.

“The owner was home at the time,” the chief said. “Not sure how he was notified of the fire — if he saw it, heard it or if the detector went off.”

The fire started on the deck, climbed up the wooden siding and entered the second floor of the home, eventually burning through the roof, Quinto said in a release. The flames were knocked down quickly by the initial fire attack crews, then the firefighters extinguished spot fires throughout the home.

The house sustained approximately $100,000 worth of damage with $20,000 damage to contents, Quinto said.

But the majority of the house was saved and likely could be rebuilt, Etheridge said.

“The ground floor’s got water damage from firefighting,” he said. “All the fire damage is on the exterior porch, up the wall, into the attic space, and then it did burn in through the top floor — I think in the bedroom area up there — but the majority of their house has been saved.”

Etheridge attributed that to the quick response of the initial fire attack crews led by Captain Todd Cameron, saying, “They made all the difference in giving them a house they’ll be able to rebuild.”

The home is located at 4615 Thane Road on a hill up a steep zigzagged driveway near Mile 4 of Thane Road, just past the sign for Sheep Creek.

There aren’t any fire hydrants in the area, which means CCFR brings water with them in tankers and engines.

“This is a 3,000 gallon tanker,” Etheridge said pointing to one in the road during an interview at the scene, “and then the engine up there (in the driveway has) got 750 gallons, and then a couple engines down here (on the street) have a 1,000 gallons on it. They just started pumping water from down here, all the way up (to the house.)”

Vehicle traffic was closed during firefighting operations from about 12:30 a.m. to 2:20 a.m.


Note: The above article has been updated. Original article appears below.


Firefighters extinguish Easter morning house fire on Thane Road

By EMILY RUSSO MILLER

JUNEAU EMPIRE

Firefighters extinguished a fire in a two-story single-family house at 4615 Thane Road early Sunday morning, possibly caused from smoldering ashes from a fireplace or a grill on an outside porch, according to the fire chief.

No injuries were reported, and the family evacuated the home before firefighters arrived on scene, Capital City Fire/Rescue Chief Richard Etheridge said.

“Preliminary, it sounds like it might have been ashes from cleaning out a fireplace or a barbecue or something like that, but the deputy fire marshal is taking a look at it right now,” Etheridge said in an interview at the scene.

The homeowner discovered the fire and called 911 a little before 12:30 a.m., and firefighters from every station in Juneau and Douglas responded, Etheridge said.

“The owner was home at the time,” the chief said. “Not sure how he was notified of the fire — if he saw it, heard it or if the detector went off.”

The fire is believed to have started on a porch that is connected to the home and travelled up through the house, burning through the roof. The flames were knocked down quickly by the initial fire attack crews, then the firefighters extinguished spot fires throughout the home.

Etheridge estimated the house sustained between $50,000 to $75,000 worth of damage. But the majority of the house was saved and likely could be rebuilt, he said.

“The ground floor’s got water damage from firefighting,” he said. “All the fire damage is on the exterior porch, up the wall, into the attic space, and then it did burn in through the top floor — I think in the bedroom area up there — but the majority of their house has been saved.”

Etheridge attributed that to the quick response of the initial fire attack crews led by Captain Todd Cameron, saying, “They made all the difference in giving them a house they’ll be able to rebuild.”

The home is located up a steep zigzagged driveway near Mile 4 of Thane Road, just past the sign for Sheep Creek.

There aren’t any fire hydrants in the area, which means CCFR brings water with them in tankers and engines.

“This is a 3,000 gallon tanker,” Etheridge said pointing to one in the road, “and then the engine up there (in the driveway has) got 750 gallons, and then a couple engines down here (on the street) have a 1,000 gallons on it. They just started pumping water from down here, all the way up (to the house.)”

Vehicle traffic was closed during firefighting operations from about 12:30 a.m. to 2:20 a.m.

• Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.

  • Comment

Spotted

Please Note: You may have disabled JavaScript and/or CSS. Although this news content will be accessible, certain functionality is unavailable.

Skip to News

« back

next »

  • title http://spotted.juneauempire.com/galleries/377828/ http://spotted.juneauempire.com/galleries/377823/ http://spotted.juneauempire.com/galleries/377818/
  • title http://spotted.juneauempire.com/galleries/377813/ http://spotted.juneauempire.com/galleries/377808/ http://spotted.juneauempire.com/galleries/377803/
  • title http://spotted.juneauempire.com/galleries/377798/ http://spotted.juneauempire.com/galleries/377793/
Seal Release

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-3028
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING