Burning food left unattended prompts firefighter response to Valley home

Capital City Fire/Rescue responded to a residential fire alarm in the Mendenhall Valley at about 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon and found unattended food in a pan left on a stove set on high.

No fire was visible from the exterior of the Parkview Court home, but responding firefighters say they saw a light haze of smoke in the living room through the front window.

They gained entry into the locked residence and found the pan left on the hot stove, according to firefighter Brent Clancy.

“No fire — just smoke caused from the pan — caused the residence to fill with smoke,” Clancy said.

CCFR ventilated the home and turned it back over to the owners, who were not there at the time.

Clancy added that there was no damage to the structure, “but the pan most likely will not survive for future use. This is just a reminder: Do not leave food unattended at any time.”

Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.

More

Mon, 02/27/2017 - 20:01

Police & Fire for Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017

This report contains public information available to the Empire from law enforcement and public safety agencies. This report includes arrest and citation information, not conviction information. Anyone listed in this report is presumed innocent. Anyone with information about a crime can report a tip anonymously to juneaucrimeline.com.

Read more
Mon, 02/27/2017 - 20:01

Key Coalition rally in front of Capitol to close street Friday

The Key Coalition of Alaska will be holding a rally on the steps of the Capitol on Friday.

Read more
Mon, 02/27/2017 - 20:01

Photo: Mountain goats roam Nugget Falls

 

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING