Burning food left unattended prompts firefighter response to Valley home

Capital City Fire/Rescue responded to a residential fire alarm in the Mendenhall Valley at about 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon and found unattended food in a pan left on a stove set on high.


No fire was visible from the exterior of the Parkview Court home, but responding firefighters say they saw a light haze of smoke in the living room through the front window.

They gained entry into the locked residence and found the pan left on the hot stove, according to firefighter Brent Clancy.

“No fire — just smoke caused from the pan — caused the residence to fill with smoke,” Clancy said.

CCFR ventilated the home and turned it back over to the owners, who were not there at the time.

Clancy added that there was no damage to the structure, “but the pan most likely will not survive for future use. This is just a reminder: Do not leave food unattended at any time.”

Contact reporter Emily Russo Miller at 523-2263 or at emily.miller@juneauempire.com.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback