This report contains information provided to the Empire from law enforcement agencies. This report includes arrest and citation information, not conviction information. Anyone listed in this report is presumed innocent.
Aircraft emergency landing
• On Sunday at 10:13 a.m. Alaska State Troopers received a report of an aircraft emergency landing into Saginaw Channel, 16 miles northwest of Juneau. Investigation revealed that a Piper PA-16 airplane’s engine failed shortly after takeoff from the beach in Handtrollers Cove. The pilot was able to turn the aircraft back towards the beach but it failed to make land, landing in the water and overturning. Two adult males and a dog were able to exit the aircraft before it sunk into Saginaw Channel in approximately 450 feet of water. A Good Samaritan on a personal fishing vessel noticed the males in the water yelling for help and transported them to shore where they were reunited with other members of their party. There were no injuries and all persons were accounted for and declined medical attention. The United States Coast Guard, Federal Aviation Administration, and the National Transportation Safety Board were notified of the investigation, which is ongoing.
• Saturday at 4:12 p.m. on the 11200 block of Glacier Highway an 18-year-old male reported being assaulted by another male in the 12000 block of Glacier Highway.
• Saturday at 1:09 p.m. in Juneau, investigation continues in the report of a domestic violence order violation.
• Saturday at 12:50 p.m. on the 8100 block of Glacier Highway an investigation continued into a report of a theft in the 8000 block of Glacier Highway.
• Sunday at 1:28 p.m. on the 400 block of Tenth Street a 60-year-old male reported his 1990 Jeep Cherokee was stolen.
Wildlife violation/Self-reported - Commercial Fish Directed Lingcod - Closed Period
• On Friday, Alaska Wildlife Troopers Sitka Post received a report from Richard J. Davis, 54, of Juneau that he had mistakenly fished a day early in the Eastern Gulf of Alaska Directed Lingcod Fishery. Davis was subsequently cited for taking Lingcod in a Closed Period on Wednesday when commercial fishing opened on Friday. Davis was cited with a violation level offense rather than a misdemeanor, due in part to his self report. An arraignment is set in Sitka District Court.