This report contains information provided to the Empire from law enforcement agencies. This report includes arrest and citation information, not conviction information. Anyone listed in this report is presumed innocent.
Editor’s Note: A Daily Incident Report from Capital City Fire/Rescue was not available by press time.
• At 2:35 p.m. Tuesday, the Juneau Police Department investigated an assault in the Juneau area. Alcohol was involved.
• At 9:48 p.m. Tuesday, JPD responded to a fight in the 1100 block of Calhoun Avenue and arrested 21-year-old Kevin Slats for assault in the fourth degree and violating conditions of release. He was taken to Lemon Creek Correctional Center. Alcohol was involved.
• At 2 p.m. Tuesday, Alaska State Troopers in Juneau responded to a reported death aboard the Norwegian Cruise Lines M/V Pearl. Troopers said the investigation revealed Michael Thomas Barone Jr., 76, of Florida, died aboard the cruise ship in his cabin. A ship physician had pronounced him dead at about 1:01 a.m. in international waters en route to Juneau. Next of kin were notified and no foul play is suspected.
• At 8:29 p.m. Tuesday, a 40-year-old woman reported an altercation with a 25-year-old man. Investigation continues.
Motor vehicle crash
• At 5:26 p.m. Tuesday, JPD responded to a three-vehicle crash on Douglas Highway. The 35-year-old male driver of a 1997 Ford Aerostar sustained minor injuries, and he was cited for failure to maintain a safe distance. No other injuries.
• At 6:13 p.m. Tuesday, a 50-year-old man driving a 2010 Honda motorcycle was involved in a single-vehicle crash in the 11800 block of Mendenhall Loop Road, and he was taken to Bartlett Regional Hospital for minor injuries.
• At 7:09 p.m. Tuesday, JPD responded to a report that a bicyclist had been struck by a vehicle in the 8500 block of Mendenhall Loop Road. The bicyclist, identified as 43-year-old Gwen Baluss, was taken to BRH for minor injuries. She was cited for failure to yield when crossing a roadway other than a crosswalk. The vehicle was a 1995 Subaru driven by a 19-year-old woman.
• At 12:51 p.m. Tuesday, JPD investigated the report of about $95 worth of stolen fuel from a business in the 3000 block of Vintage Boulevard.
• At 2:47 p.m. Tuesday, JPD created a case involving a theft in the 700 block of Ninth Street for information purposes. Civil matter.
• At 3:14 p.m. Tuesday, JPD investigated a report of a 39-year-old man stealing $27 worth of merchandise in the 6500 block of Glacier Highway.
• At 9:07 a.m. Wednesday, a 39-year-old woman reported a theft of fuel from her boat in the 800 block of Front Street.
• At 10:01 p.m. Tuesday, a 54-year-old woman reported an unknown subject broke a window on her 2004 Jeep Liberty in the 300 block of Willoughby Avenue.