If there’s one thing to bet on in local politics it’s nothing.
Which is to say, with few petitions filed for open seats on the Juneau School Board and City and Borough of Juneau Assembly, anything is possible.
With the approaching deadline to file the necessary paperwork for nomination in the regular municipal elections in October, the Office of Municipal Clerk has received only five applications for the five open seats.
But there is still time to submit before the Aug. 12 deadline.
The following is a list of nominating petitions filed as of press time:
• Barbara Thurston (School Board)
• Lillian “Lisa” Worl (School Board)
• Bill Peters (Areawide Assembly member)
• Mary Becker (District 1 Assembly member)
• Karen Crane (District 2 Assembly member)
All positions are three-year terms.
In order to file for any one of the positions, candidates must be qualified voters in the CBJ, qualified to vote in state elections, a resident of the municipality for at least 30 days preceding the election and registered to vote at a residence address within the municipality.
Voters will have the opportunity to elect members on Oct. 1. For more information on qualifications and filing processes, go to Juneau.org/clerk/elections
• Contact reporter Kenneth Rosen at 523-2250 or at email@example.com.