Cigarette starts fire at Alaskan Hotel

No injuries were reported
Capital City Fire and Rescue responds to a fire inside the front wall of the Alaskan Hotel & Bar early Saturday morning. The building was evacuated and no injuries were reported.

A lit cigarette tossed into a planter in front of the Alaskan Hotel & Bar was the cause of a small fire in the Franklin Street building early Saturday morning, Capital City Fire and Rescue Chief Rich Etheridge said.

CCFR responded to to a report of smoke at the hotel at about 1:15 a.m., according to a release from the department. Crews from all districts responded.

The fire was burning inside the front wall of the building, according to the release. The hotel and bar were evacuated for about an hour while crews opened up the wall from the building’s basement and exterior. The fire and charred wood were removed, the release stated.

Damage to the building was estimated at about $2,500. No injuries were reported.

More

Fri, 03/24/2017 - 06:21

Pebble, EPA seek more time to try to resolve lawsuit

JUNEAU — Additional time has been requested to try to resolve a lawsuit brought against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency by the group pursuing a... Read more

Alaska Chamber president to address Juneau Chamber of Commerce

This week’s Chamber of Commerce luncheon will give local Chamber members a look at how the organization works on a statewide level.... Read more

Around the Web

 

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING