Cigarette starts fire at Alaskan Hotel

No injuries were reported
Capital City Fire and Rescue responds to a fire inside the front wall of the Alaskan Hotel & Bar early Saturday morning. The building was evacuated and no injuries were reported.

A lit cigarette tossed into a planter in front of the Alaskan Hotel & Bar was the cause of a small fire in the Franklin Street building early Saturday morning, Capital City Fire and Rescue Chief Rich Etheridge said.

CCFR responded to to a report of smoke at the hotel at about 1:15 a.m., according to a release from the department. Crews from all districts responded.

The fire was burning inside the front wall of the building, according to the release. The hotel and bar were evacuated for about an hour while crews opened up the wall from the building’s basement and exterior. The fire and charred wood were removed, the release stated.

Damage to the building was estimated at about $2,500. No injuries were reported.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback






Fri, 03/23/2018 - 17:19

Woman pronounced deceased after assault results in head injury

Ten days after an assault sent a 59-year-old California resident to an Anchorage hospital, the woman was pronounced dead, according to the Juneau Police Department.... Read more

Fri, 03/23/2018 - 16:25

CCFR in need of volunteers

Fri, 03/23/2018 - 16:16

Woman indicted on charges of bringing meth into Juneau airport

A Juneau grand jury indicted a woman on charges of second-degree drug misconduct after police found methamphetamine in her bra and pockets on a flight... Read more

Fri, 03/23/2018 - 08:55

Kids kicking butts