The Juneau Assembly will hear Bartlett Regional Hospital board members explain the hospital’s new CEO’s salary during its finance committee meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the city hall assembly chambers.
New CEO Charles “Chuck” Bill will be paid $315,000 per year, plus a signing bonus of $31,500 and relocation compensation of $31,500, according to a hospital news release. Former CEO Christine Harff made $260,000 per year and received a relocation package of $23,027, according to her employment contract.
At last week’s finance committee meeting, Assemblyman Randy Wanamaker asked for a conversation with the president and treasurer of the Bartlett board. He said he would prepare a list of questions for them regarding the salary.
“I think the board president and the board treasurer should have to tell us their reasoning, because these are public funds,” Wanamaker said of the salary at the last meeting.
He said in an email he will ask the board members these questions:
• Was a committee involved in establishing the CEO compensation package?
• Who negotiated and signed the CEO contract?
• What compensation guidelines were used for the CEO compensation package?
• Did the BRH Board develop compensation guidelines following the separation of the last CEO, CFO and HR Manager?
• Was any member of the city government or Assembly informed about the CEO compensation before or after the contract was signed?
• The Assembly learned of the compensation for the CEO from media releases. In view of the public concern and Assembly concern over the separation agreements and lack of notice to the Assembly, why did this happen?
• Are steps being taken to assure that the Assembly and appropriate City staff will be advised of such matters in the future?
• What was the reasoning behind the signing bonus for the CEO?
Check tomorrow’s issue of the Empire for a follow-up article.