ALL ACCESS MEMBERSHIP

JOIN NOW ACTIVATE SIGN IN
  • Overcast, light rain
  • 54°
    Overcast, light rain

Juneau Empire publisher Rustan Burton pursues new Midwest opportunity

Posted: January 4, 2017 - 2:40pm  |  Updated: January 5, 2017 - 12:02am
Rustan Burton is the new publisher of the Juneau Empire.  Michael Penn / Juneau Empire
Michael Penn / Juneau Empire
Rustan Burton is the new publisher of the Juneau Empire.

Rustan Burton, publisher of the Juneau Empire and Capital City Weekly in Juneau has stepped down to accept another job in the Midwest. The announcement was made by Deedie McKenzie, group publisher of Alaska Media Partners.

“Rustan has been a wonderful leader and publisher,” said McKenzie. “We wish him well.”

Burton moved to Juneau in 2013 taking over the role as publisher. Before working for Morris, Burton held various positions with Forum Communications and The Anchorage Daily News.

“I am so grateful that Morris took a chance on me and allowed me the opportunity to represent this newspaper while working with so many incredible people,” Burton said. “Being a publisher here has been challenging and educational, but also very rewarding for me and my family. The decision to move on was not an easy one and we will sincerely miss so many of our friends in Juneau. This community has been so good to us, and we have loved living here.”

Deedie McKenzie will serve as interim publisher.

The company will hire someone to fill the position at a later date.

Comments (10) Add comment
elton engstrom
-18
Points
elton engstrom 01/08/17 - 07:00 pm

This guy was the most incompetent, dirty , worthles, publisher I have ever seen. Thank the lord he is moving on. It's like getting rid of a really bad smell. What a relief!

Bill Yankee
1597
Points
Bill Yankee 01/09/17 - 04:44 am
Tell us what you really feel, Elton!

Care to give us some examples of his incompetence? Your comment is nothing but a drive-by accusation without anything backing it up.

Hard for me to swallow your accusations without something more! Your turn!

elton engstrom
-18
Points
elton engstrom 01/09/17 - 05:24 am

His examples are etched in stone from the sloppy disgusting mean spirited pappers put out since his employment with the paper. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was forced out. I can't believe anyone else would even hire the guy. Are you serious about giving you examples. Have you been reading the paper bill.

Bill Yankee
1597
Points
Bill Yankee 01/09/17 - 05:40 am
I've been reading the paper for about 40 years.

And I'm serious about your giving some examples of disgusting, mean spirited articles! I have no idea what God has to do with any of this but you clearly have a bone to pick with this guy and the Empire.

Either give some examples or give it up with your seemingly baseless accusations.

elton engstrom
-18
Points
elton engstrom 01/09/17 - 05:44 am
Why is the enquirer cleaning house

The examples are all over the paper. But even more proof is all the writers leaving the paper. They are leaving for a good reason. Keep reading the paper bill, it's bound to improve. I hope the door didn't hit this guy on the way out. It's like getting rid of a bad smell, what a relief it is gone for the good of the community .

CONTACT US