Dryer causes small fire at Douglas apartment building

A propane-operated dryer started a fire at the Cordova Heights apartment building on Monday night, causing little damage and no injuries.

At 9:31 p.m., Capital City Fire/Rescue responded to the reported fire, located on Nowell Avenue on Douglas Island. Fire personnel contained the fire to the dryer room, clearing the scene at approximately 10:45 p.m. Nine units responded to the fire, with 19 personnel from five stations.

There was a little water damage and a little fire damage, and the contents of the dryer were consumed, but there were no reported injuries, Fire Marshal Dan Jager said. Smoke had traveled elsewhere in the building, and fire personnel used fans to remove the smoke and odor from the building.

The exact cause of the fire is still under investigation, and there’s no indication that it’s intentional, Jager said.

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING

 

More

Fri, 07/20/2018 - 07:32

Spiritual guru to visit Juneau

High fecal bacteria sample close Twin Lakes for swimming

High levels of unsafe bacteria in Twin Lakes is closing the recreational spot for swimming.

Read more