For a brief moment Wednesday, it appeared there was a fire at Mendenhall Towers Apartments.
At about 11:50 a.m., as Capital City Fire/Rescue Assistant Chief Ed Quinto said, a fire alarm went off on the third floor of the apartment building. Around the same time, someone at the State Office Building reported seeing smoke in the area of the apartment building.
When CCFR and other emergency workers arrived on the scene a few minutes later, they quickly determined that there was no fire in the building. The alarm had gone off accidentally, Quinto said, and the smoke was coming from the building’s chimney because the building’s boilers are currently being worked on.
The building wasn’t evacuated, as curious residents were poking their heads out their windows as two fire trucks pulled up in front of their apartment. The streets around the complex were shut down for less than half an hour, and traffic patterns were restored before 12:30 p.m. There were no injuries or damage to report.