Bags for baseball All Stars a big hit
The Gastineau Channel Little League Junior All Star Baseball team would like to thank the Juneau community members and businesses who donated merchandise and products for the gift bags that the team took to Irvine, Calif. for the Western Regional Baseball Tournament. Without the kindness of these people and their businesses, it would have been very difficult and expensive to show our Alaskan hospitality to the teams we faced in California.
While the team did not reach the World Series, the boys played well and, even more importantly, represented Juneau well. In a tribute to their team, coaches, parents, and the community of Juneau, the Juneau team was awarded the sportsmanship award for their attitude and sportsmanship on and off the field, winning the award by receiving 34 of the 36 votes cast for it. We are proud of our Juneau boys!
The team would like to extend its sincere appreciation to Windy and Dave Spargo, the Alaskan Fudge Company, Taku Smokeries, Douglas Island Pink and Chum, inc., and Sen. Dennis Egan’s office for their generous donations. The Juneau gift bags were very much appreciated by the players and coaches who received them, and the Juneau boys were proud to be able to share some Juneau culture and spirit!
A sincere thank you to the wonderful and supportive residents of Juneau from all of the players, parents, and coaches!
GCLL, Vice President Baseball
Thank you to Thomas, Kookesh for senior center grant
During the month of September as we celebrate National Senior Center Month, we want to give special thanks to Sen. Albert Kookesh and Rep. Bill Thomas for the special grant which they made available to the Aangoon Shu’ Senior Center this past year.
The center is a hub of activity for Angoon’s elder population. The program provides transportation and hot nutritious lunches five days a week throughout the year. The Aangoon Shu’ Senior Center serves about 50 elders, many of whom have very limited incomes. The nutritious meal they receive five days a week is, for some, the only meal of the day.
The special grant allowed us to purchase a new commercial-grade dishwasher and refrigerator for the elder nutrition program. The new dishwasher will help us to comply with state sanitation guidelines and ensure sanitary dinnerware. The new commercial refrigerator will hold fresh produce with more nutritional quality than canned foods and will safely store local donations of fish, shell fish and game meat.
Thanks to the Designated Legislative Grant, Angoon elders will be able to benefit from nutritious foods, prepared and served in a sanitary manner. Our goal is to help them stay healthy and live with dignity and quality of life among family and friends for many years to come.
Marianne Mills, Program Director
Southeast Senior Services
CCTHITA thanks donors, volunteers for Journey to Wellness campaign
The Central Council Tlingit & Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska’s (CCTHITA) Elder Caregivers program would like to thank all of the local organizations and community members who contributed to the 2011 Journey to Wellness campaign and the “Champions Potluck” luncheon.
A total of 111 Tlingit and Haida tribal citizens registered for this year’s event. Many of our participants have benefitted significantly from all of your generous contributions. The following is a list of award winners, donors and volunteers:
• Peggy Exendine – “Most Inspirational Journey Participant”
• Nancy Barnes – “Healthiest Journey Participant”
• Nora Dauenhauer – “Best Written Testimony”
• Martha Benzel – “Best Verbal Testimony”
• Andrea Ebona-Michel – “Best Healthy Recipe”
Organizations that donated:
• Sealaska Corporation
• Tlingit & Haida Regional Housing Authority
• Goldbelt Corporation
• Huna Totem
• CCTHITA Elders Caregivers program
Merchants and individuals that donated:
• Bullwinkle’s Pizza Parlor
• Driftwood lodge
• Pavitt’s Health & Fitness
• Andy Ebona, Janice Jackson, Charlotte McConnell, Andrea Ebona-Michel, Percy Kunz, Connie Munro, Butch Laiti and Sarah Wacker
A special thank you to volunteers: (CCTHITA)
• Jodi Garrison – newsletter articles, printing event posters and Journey to Wellness Champions luncheon placemats.
• Tlingit and Haida Elders Caregivers Council Planning Sub-Committee — Peggy Exendine, Andy Ebona, Fausto Paulo, Pat Arasmith and Connie Munro
• Tlingit and Haida Staff — Evangeline Jeannie Lee and Patty Tackett
• Others Include – Liam Nohrforrestor and Michael Nohr, Melanie McGrath, Amber Michel, Sue Ann Lindoff, George Williams, Fausto Paulo and Janet Lumiansky.
Elderly Services Coordinator