Jack Kreinheder, Trail Mix board member and Juneau Nordic Ski Club grooming volunteer, provided an updated grooming report for Eaglecrest Ski Area and the Mendenhall Campground:
• The Mendenhall Campground has a great snowpack for November, and is groomed daily for both classic and skate skiing. Grooming is usually completed by noon, but varies. The skiing conditions are perfect.
• The Nordic Club and the groomers request that walkers please avoid walking down the middle of the groomed surface or on the classic ski tracks, so that the groomers’ good work will last throughout the day. Please walk near the edge of the groomed surface opposite the classic ski tracks. Also, please leash your dogs if they run in front of or up to skiers.
• The Mendenhall Lake ice has a weak layer and is still not thick enough to groom on the lake. The Dredge Lake trails may be groomed for classic skiing early next week if time allows.
• Eaglecrest will begin grooming the Lower Loop for classic and skate skiing on a daily basis on Friday. The Lower Loop was groomed by snowcat on Tuesday, but the heavy snowfall since then has covered the groomed track. A classic track may be set on Thanksgiving day around noon.
• For daily grooming updates, go to www.jnski.org.