A Century Remembered Part II | 1920-1940

1 of 27
Treadwell Mine, 24 x 60 hoisting engine. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 62) Alaska State Library PCA 39-912
2 of 27
Heins boilers. 700 Foot Mine. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 28) Alaska State Library. PCA 39-963
3 of 27
Treadwell Assay Office, melting room [probably Treadwell Mine brick furnace in center]. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 66) Alaska State Library Case & Drapere Photographs PCA 39-947
4 of 27
Treadwell Mines Photo by Case & Draper (no. 97T) Alaska State Library, Case & Draper Photographs PCA 39-863
5 of 27
The superintendent's residence at the Treadwell Mine was located next to the machine shop (on right) during the early days of the Treadwell Mine on Douglas Island. This photo was snapped by Case & Draper in the early 1900s. In the background, Mayflower Island is seen. Today, this area makes up part of the breakwater of Douglas Harbor.
6 of 27
The vanner room of the Treadwell Mine held 240 stamps, with rail tracks running down the center of the room. At the height of the operation there were five mills with more than 960 stamps in continuous operation, closing down only on Christmas and Independence Day.
7 of 27
Treadwell Mines, Douglas Island, Alaska [row of stamps]. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 63) Alaska State Library PCA 39-931
8 of 27
[Treadwell Office and Company Store]. Alaska State Library, Core File (Treadwell buildings--#9) PCA 39-917
9 of 27
Douglas Street View Alaska State Library, Core file (Douglas--Views--Streets--7)PCA 01-2416
10 of 27
Treadwell Mine. # 2 head-frame main hoist and rope supporting towers. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 80) Alaska State Library, Case & Draper Photographs PCA 39-865
11 of 27
Staff of Juneau High School newspaper, photo taken in 1926. Group portrait of ten women and five men. Handwritten notes on image: top: J Hi Class of 1926. Evelyn Judson, Ed Gernick, Miss Myra, Myron D__, Gladys Nagel, David Ramses. bottom: Elizabeth Madsen, Lillian Bayers, Hansena Campen, Grace Davis, Mildred Warwick
12 of 27
700 foot mine and mill. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 26), alaska State Library, Case & Draper Photographs PCA 39-961
13 of 27
Bears Nest Mine Photo by Case & Draper (no. 91) Alaska State Library, Case & Draper Photographs PCA 39-889
14 of 27
Pictured is the south end of Juneau between 1913 to 1939, showing the Alaska Juneau Mill and smoke coming from Juneau Lumber Mills.
15 of 27
Treadwell mine [looking across mine complex toward Gastineau Channel]. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 2) Alaska State Library Case & Draper Photographs PCA 39-869
16 of 27
Aircraft is probable Waco YKS-6 (or YKS series) on floats, with added "water rudder" Number NC13068.
17 of 27
View along highway north of Juneau, in Eagle River area. Photographer's number 8305. 1938. Area adjacent to highway about 22 miles north of Juneau in Eagle River. 1938.
18 of 27
Treadwell foundry [interior view]. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 31) Alaska State Library Case & Draper Photographs PCA 01-1729
19 of 27
Treadwell mines Photo by J.S. MacKinnon Collections of the Juneau Public Libraries All rights reserved.
20 of 27
Description from the Alaska State Historical Collections: Vern Bookwalters Curtiss Condor at Skagway, Army S 43 Sikorsky at Juneau in 1937, and PAA Sikorsky at Juneau.
21 of 27
Douglas after the 1937 fire.Alaska State LibraryCore file (Douglas--Fires--6)PCA 01-2423
22 of 27
Mexican Mine. Old hoisting engine. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 23) Alaska State Library PCA 39-951
23 of 27
Russian Orthodox Church Society, Juneau and Hoonah. May 5, 1924. Pictured is a large group of adults and children, including Father Kashevaroff, beside entrance to the church.
24 of 27
Mexican Mine. Mill engine [interior view]. Photo by Case & Draper ( no. 22) Alaska State Library PCA 39-950
25 of 27
Unverified.(Douglas dock area, 17)
26 of 27
Group portrait taken before the opening of the baseball season, May 7, 1933 in the Firemen's Ball Park in Juneau. Pictured: Governor John W. Troy (center, in suit and white hat) and players are flanked by the Juneau City and Juneau High School Bands. Signs in image read: G.E. Krause, Building Contractor, Juneau Motors, W.R. Johnson. Drum in image reads: Alford John Bradford Post No. 4, Juneau, Alaska. Uniforms: A's., B.P.O.E.
27 of 27
Mexican Mine. New hoisting engine. Photo by Case & Draper (no. 24): Alaska State Library. PCA 39-954

Description

The staff at the Juneau Empire is preparing to celebrate the paper's 100th birthday. We've been collecting photographs, old newpapers and memoralbilia to share with our readers. The photos in this slideshow feature historic people or places from approximately 1920-1940. Most are courtesy of the Alaska State Historical Library and the Juneau-Douglas City Museum; a special thanks goes out to both the Juneau-Douglas City Museum and the Alaska State Historical Library, for their assistance. 

Do you know more about these photos? Post a comment. Do you have photos or newspaper clippings to share? Email us at editor@juneauempire.com

This Week's Circulars

 
 

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING