100th | Alaska's Capital Through the Years

1 of 49
During the winter of 1895-96, Lockie MacKinnon and George Miller erected the Circle City Hotel on Third Street in Juneau, between Seward and Franklin streets. The two people in the center of the image are Lockie MacKinnon and his son James Simpson MacKinnon. A sign on the door at the far right of image reads, "Ladies Entrance."
2 of 49
Group portrait of Alaska Labor Union No. 1 members inside the union hall in Douglas, Alaska. Sign hanging on wall reads: "ALU." 1911.
3 of 49
Douglas after the fire, March 9, 1911.Alaska State LibraryCore File (Douglas--Fires--1)PCA 01-959
4 of 49
Court House, Juneau, approximately 1893.
5 of 49
Douglas. Photo by DraperAlaska State Library, Core file (Douglas--Views--5)PCA 01-2421
6 of 49
Douglas Alaska State Library Core File (Douglas--Views--17)PCA 01-2272
7 of 49
Douglas Street View Alaska State Library, Core file (Douglas--Views--Streets--7)PCA 01-2416
8 of 49
9 of 49
Altar of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, approx. 1899.
10 of 49
Douglas, Alaska, 1908Front Street StoresW. H. Case (no. 78) Alaska State Library, Case & Draper PhotographsPCA 39-1022
11 of 49
Alaska Daily Empire office, 123 Main St. John Troy, with mustach, right. Taken in 1913.
12 of 49
13 of 49
Members of the 1895 Juneau Fire Department pose in front of a float, which historians believe could have been for the Fourth of July. Individuals identified in the photograph are: 1) Emory Valentine, 2) Lockie MacKinnon, 3) Jack McKay, 4) Si Tanner, and 5) Ernest Bruehner.
14 of 49
Douglas Street ScenePhoto by J.S. MacKinnonJuneau Public Libraries.All rights reserved.
15 of 49
Russian Church - Juneau, Alaska. Exterior view with priest Petr Orlov beside front door.
16 of 49
Members of the Juneau Fire Department stand Front Street with hose cart in 1890. These were the men and boys of Hose Company Number 1. Valentine's Jewelry Store is at left. Emery Valentine, later the Mayor of Juneau, is second fire fighter from left. Percy Pond is seventh from left, and Lloyd Valentine Winter is tenth. Signs in image: Hose CoM'Y 1, Central Telephone Office, Bakery, The Juneau, Joe's Popular Restaurant, Dealer in General Merchandise.
17 of 49
President Harding's visit to Juneau, 1923. President Harding speaking from Governor Bone's mansion, Juneau, Alaska.
18 of 49
Snow was piled high on both sides of Front Street in Juneau on a sunny day in Febrary 1918.
19 of 49
Description on back in Russian with English translation: The very first church in Juneau, where all Christian communities too turns holding services. Built by Roman Catholic priests. Later passed into Presbyterian ownership. Afterward beer and soda water were brewed in it. Now on this site there stands the new five-story concrete New Cain Hotel. Time period: early 1900s.
20 of 49
21 of 49
Staff of Juneau High School newspaper, photo taken in 1926. Group portrait of ten women and five men. Handwritten notes on image: top: J Hi Class of 1926. Evelyn Judson, Ed Gernick, Miss Myra, Myron D__, Gladys Nagel, David Ramses. bottom: Elizabeth Madsen, Lillian Bayers, Hansena Campen, Grace Davis, Mildred Warwick
22 of 49
Inside view St. Nicholas in Juneau with priest Aleksandr Iaroshevich at altar. Interior of Russian Church, Juneau, Alaska.
23 of 49
Exterior view of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, Juneau and three adjacent buildings.
24 of 49
Juneau Ski Club Banquet, Feb. 21, 1938.
25 of 49
26 of 49
The Juneau Native Band, also known as the "Thlinget band," according to the notation on the photograph, poses for a photo on July, 4, 1907.
27 of 49
Pictured is the Juneau Hotel built in the 1890s to replace the Juneau City Hotel on 2nd Street, it burned down in September 1911. At left is the Windsor Building housing the Windsor Saloon and office of ALASKA SEARCHLIGHT newspaper.
28 of 49
29 of 49
Exterior view of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, Juneau and adjacent building.
30 of 49
31 of 49
Altar of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, approx. 1899.
32 of 49
Douglas after the 1937 fire.Alaska State LibraryCore file (Douglas--Fires--6)PCA 01-2423
33 of 49
34 of 49
Staff of the Daily Alaska Empire standing outside the Empire building on Main Street in Juneau. Elmer Friend, managing editor (second from left), John W. Troy, publisher (in derby hat in center), Arthur Bringdale, lynotype operator (at right, in apron).
35 of 49
36 of 49
Rivaling even parade floats of today, the Juneau Garden Club participates in the 1959 Fourth of July parade as it moves down Front Street. Notice "Percy's" in teh background, as well as the Gross building, which still stands today.
37 of 49
Bears Nest Mine Photo by Case & Draper (no. 91) Alaska State Library, Case & Draper Photographs PCA 39-889
38 of 49
Treadwell store [three men at counter bunch of bananas hanging at left]. Photo by Case & Draper (No. 55) Alaska State Library. PCA 39-1142
39 of 49
Aircraft is probable Waco YKS-6 (or YKS series) on floats, with added "water rudder" Number NC13068.
40 of 49
41 of 49
Description from the Alaska State Historical Collections: Vern Bookwalters Curtiss Condor at Skagway, Army S 43 Sikorsky at Juneau in 1937, and PAA Sikorsky at Juneau.
42 of 49
Russian Orthodox Church Society, Juneau and Hoonah. May 5, 1924. Pictured is a large group of adults and children, including Father Kashevaroff, beside entrance to the church.
43 of 49
44 of 49
45 of 49
46 of 49
Front Street is pictured, in the 1920s, looking toward Franklin Street. Buildings on both sides of street include the Billiard, the News Depot and Juneau Transfer.
47 of 49
View along highway north of Juneau, in Eagle River area. Photographer's number 8305. 1938. Area adjacent to highway about 22 miles north of Juneau in Eagle River. 1938.
48 of 49
Unverified.(Douglas dock area, 17)
49 of 49

This Week's Circulars

 

CONTACT US

  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

ADVERTISING

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES

SOCIAL NETWORKING