JDHS soccer girls thump Kings in Ketchikan

Ketchikan's Geneva Peters (14) challenges Juneau-Douglas' Sarah Tarver for the ball Tuesday in first-half action at Fawn Mountain field in Ketchikan.

Solana Ashe scored in the 30th minute, Sarah Tarver added a goal in the 47th and the Juneau-Douglas girls’ soccer team earned its second consecutive 2-0 win over Ketchikan on Tuesday at Fawn Mountain field.


Ketchikan again held tough against a Juneau-Douglas team that typically cruises through Southeast Conference play, keeping the score knotted 0-0 late into the first half. But Ashe capped a chaotic sequence in front of the Ketchikan net with a goal, and Tarver sealed the deal with her second goal in as many games to give the Crimson Bears a sweep in Ketchikan’s season-opening series.

Juneau-Douglas improved to 5-0 in conference play, with two wins over the Kings and three over Thunder Mountain. The Kings are 0-2.

“We got the win and when you’re playing league play, that’s all that matters,” JDHS coach Matt Dusenberry said. “That’s good for us, but we’ve still got to take care of business when Ketchikan comes to play us in Juneau.”

The Crimson Bears won the opener of the two-game series 2-0 Monday, and afterward Ketchikan coach Scott Brandt-Erichsen estimated it had been nine years since the Kings finished a game just two goals behind the Crimson Bears.

It only took about 20 hours for Ketchikan to repeat the feat.

Riding another strong defensive effort and stellar goalkeeping by senior Deandra Banie — who stopped 18 shots after stopping 24 Monday — the Kings kept the score 0-0 until a wild 30-second stretch in front of their net resulted in Juneau-Douglas’ first goal.

Banie made the initial stop of a JDHS shot, but crashed into a Bears player in the process and fell to the ground. After several missed kicks by both Ketchikan and JDHS players, Ashe found the ball in front of the net and bounced it in with a waist-high kick of her right foot.

It was exactly the kind of goal JDHS needed on a day when shots weren’t finding the net.

“We had difficulty finishing,” Dusenberry said. “We were getting in and getting opportunities to score, we just weren’t putting them in the net. That’s kind of how the game of soccer can go sometimes.”

The Crimson Bears got a little insurance after the halftime break courtesy of Tarver, who was never far from the ball in either game.

It wasn’t one of her better chances, coming from a poor angle far along the left sideline, but Tarver’s high, arching shot glanced off the fingertips of Banie and into the upper right-hand corner of the net.

Even with 33 minutes left, Juneau-Douglas’ 2-0 lead seemed insurmountable. Ketchikan’s offense struggled to create any scoring chances against the Crimson Bears for the second straight game, and rarely crossed midfield for more than a few seconds.

“Little improvement (offensively), but not a whole lot,” Brandt-Erichsen said. “We really only had two occasions offensively where it looked like there was a legitimate opportunity to maybe score.

“There was a little bit more than yesterday, but not as much as I’d like to see.”

Ketchikan travels to Juneau for games with Thunder Mountain and JDHS on Friday and Saturday, hosts Thunder Mountain the next weekend. 

• Ketchikan Daily News Sports Editor John Borneman can be reached at john@ketchikandailynews.com



  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback