• Overcast, light rain
  • 54°
    Overcast, light rain
  • Comment

Kings sweep two soccer matches from Falcon girls

Posted: May 7, 2011 - 10:23pm
Thunder Mountain's Katie Tarver (16) stays with Ketchikan's Brooke Simmons (9) during a match Friday at Fawn Mountain Friday.   Hall Anderson / Ketchikan Daily News
Hall Anderson / Ketchikan Daily News
Thunder Mountain's Katie Tarver (16) stays with Ketchikan's Brooke Simmons (9) during a match Friday at Fawn Mountain Friday.

Some Ketchikan players were still showing off the new spray tans they got in advance of Saturday’s prom when Thunder Mountain scored its first goal Friday night.

That sure got the Kings’ attention.

Freshman Brooke Simmons scored a pair of first-half goals, junior Melissa Elliott racked up three assists, and the Ketchikan girls soccer team stormed back from an early deficit to win a wild 7-2 decision at Fawn Mountain field.

The Kings went down 1-0 after less than two minutes, but answered with three straight goals during the first half and two more in the first 15 minutes after the intermission to pull away. The seven-goal output was Ketchikan’s best in five games this season.

Ketchikan freshman Brooke Simmons tries to get around Thunder Mountain’s Katie Tarver, left, during the second half of a game at Fawn Mountain field Friday. Ketchikan beat Thunder Mountain 7-2. Staff photo by Hall Anderson

“They were a little distracted, but I think that goal kind of helped wake them up a little bit,” Ketchikan coach Scott Brandt-Erichsen said of his team. “It took them a little while to get started. But once they got going, it worked pretty well.

Most of the late-arriving crowd was still filtering in when Thunder Mountain took advantage of the sluggish Kings.

Ketchikan senior goalkeeper Deandra Banie repelled the initial attack from a Thunder Mountain forward, going to the ground to stop a low shot in the second minute. But she couldn’t control the ball, and gave up a rebound that Carmen Smith tracked down right in front of the wide-open net.

Smith punched it home with ease for the 1-0 lead.

After 24 restless minutes of worrisome soccer, Ketchikan responded.

Simmons was fouled just outside the Thunder Mountain box in the 26th minute, earning an indirect kick from about 25 yards out in the middle of the field. Elliott touched it first, tapping the ball to Simmons, who blasted it with her right foot past the Thunder Mountain wall, off the hands of keeper Gesabel Rosa and inside the left post.

Just like the Kings drew it up.

“We were choosing to tap it and I was just going to shoot it and hope it goes in,” Simmons said.

Ketchikan (2-3, 2-3 Southeast) took the lead for good five minutes later as junior Geneva Peters provided the most picturesque goal of the night.

down the stretch gave them their second loss of the year to Ketchikan.

“We thought we were in it,” coach Moctar Diouf said. “It’s unfortunate that we collapsed by taking some own goals in the process of trying to make something happen. But I think, overall, we are seeing the progress of things we have been working on.”

Ketchikan then blanked the Falcons 4-0 on Saturday.

  • Comment


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback