The Juneau-Douglas football team’s 29-8 win Saturday night over visiting West Valley featured the time-honored tradition of Senior Night.
Crimson Bears head coach Rich Sjoroos noted the following about each of his 12 graduating gridiron players:
• Lah Fifita (No. 2), fullback/linebacker 5-foot-11, 230 pounds. One of the best all around players that has ever been in the program. A 4-year letterman, 3-year varsity starter and one of the most physical presences. One of the most defensively dominating player to wear the red and black.
• Alec Calloway (9), wide receiver/defensive back, 6-foot-4, 205 pounds. A big target with solid hands and getting better every week.
• Adam Soto (10), kicker, 5-foot-7, 160 pounds. A clutch kicker, one of the most accurate kickers JDHS has had.
• Junior Nauer (21), wide receiver/linebacker, 5-foot-7, 155 pounds. Just an absolute pit bull. He plays like he weighs 220 pounds.
• Sean Niumataevalu (23), wide receiver/defensive back, 6-foot, 180 pounds. A playmaker, can score from anywhere on the field in a variety of ways and is someone the defense has to account for every second of the game.
• Alex Matheson (24), fullback/linebacker, 5-foot-9, 175 pounds. A very cerebral player. A solid tackler and very durable. Another four-year player. He calls the defense on the field.
• Jerick Ibias (36), running back/linebacker, 5-foot-8, 195 pounds. The surest handed ball carrier JDHS has ever had. Doesn’t fumble, has good vision, and is deceptively fast. The hardest and most dedicated kid in the off-season and it has paid off. He is tough to bring down.
• Dylan Skrzynski (38), fullback/linebacker, 5-foot-10, 180 pounds. A linebacker who is aggressive and really fast. He has had some big games this year. He creates chaos in the backfield for our defense.
• Matt Vandor (54), offensive lineman/defensive lineman, 6-foot-1, 205 pounds. A first year player, very coachable, very durable and a kid that has just improved every week.
• Warren Eckland (68), offensive lineman/defensive lineman, 5-foot-10, 213 pounds. The quiet leader on the offensive line. A great snapper, an incredibly good blocker even if he is undersized, but a kid that will be really missed. Has anchored the line and is as tough as nails when going up against some great guys across the line from him all year.
• Velepoto Enele (78), offensive lineman/defensive lineman, 5-foot-10, 330 pounds. The gift from Hawaii that came to JDHS at Christmas time. A great teammate who has added some cohesiveness to the team. Obviously a big presence who has worked himself into great shape so he can play both sides of the ball. A great blocker and good run stuffer on defense.
• Pawel Kierski (18), linebacker/ kick return, 5–foot-9, 175 pounds. An exchange student from Poland. First year playing and has brought some energy to the team. Picked up the sport really well and if we let him play without a helmet, he would.