Alaska Beatdown has final championship piece in place

Duckworth tops Reishus in semi-final bout

The Main Event at Alaska Beatdown #8 was well worth waiting for and has solidified the final piece in the Lightweight Championship set for September 28.


Ketchikan’s Tyson “Cain” Duckworth (24-5-0) and Juneau’s Craig Reishus (9-2-1) put on a Mixed Martial Arts show on Friday night at Centennial Hall.

Duckworth won the unanimous decision by being the aggressor in the final two rounds although officials missed two fouls; striking outside the ring and holding onto the ring ropes.

Reishus, meanwhile, relied on counter skills while on his back. Both fighters used multiple holds and counter moves yet neither could bring their opponent to submission.

Round one started with a roundhouse kick to the head by Duckworth and a counter flying kick by Reishus. This led to grappling by both and partial limbs outside the roping where Reishus was kneed in the face.

Round two involved corner exchanges and standing grappling work. When Reishus attempted a throw form the corner, Duckworth held the rope slightly to ruin the move and took top position. Reishus continued to counter from his back. Both fighters ended prone on the mat applying leg and footholds.

Round three continued with standing grappling to ankle and foot holds on the mat. Although the match was one of the best brought to Centennial Hall the capacity crowd weren’t all in agreement with the outcome. However, Duckworth did more to win the fight than Reishus did.

Tyson Duckworth will now fight Fairbanks’ Eddie Hoch for the Lightweight Championship on September 28. Hoch defeated Henry Dehling last month. Hock has fought in Anchorage at Alaska Fighting Championships, in England at the Cage Rage, in California for Fight For Wrestling, in Brazil for Shooto Brazil and in Fairbanks at Midnight Sun Mayhem.

In other action on Friday night:

Luis Garcia, 165-pounds, won a split decision over Josh White (1-3-0), 146-pounds in a boxing match. Both fighters were hesitant in round one and Garcia landed a solid body shot in round two but no aggressor was apparent. Round three featured even clutches with punches on the break.

Clifford “C-Weezy” White (3-1-0), 160-pounds, stopped last second entry Paul Lee, about 145-pounds, with a TKO in the first round of their dirty boxing match. White pushed the action around the ring, threw Lee to the ground, and stood over him landing punches.

Chandler “The Henchman” Horne (5-2-0), 164-pounds, came back to stun Michael Ward, 170-pounds, by TKO in the second round of their MMA bout. Ward took top position twice in the first round, fought off one low blow, and seemed to be the better battler. Horne woke up in the second round and brought Ward down the ropes to the mat where his first punches left Ward defenseless.

Archie Hunt (4-1-0), 172-pounds, wasted little time in stopping Yakutat’s Jeff Fraker (0-1-0), 175-pounds, in a first round TKO. Hunt used a chokehold to gain advantage in their MMA bout and rained punches atop Fraker who kept turning his head.

“Crown” Royal Hudson (7-3-0), 259-pounds, won by TKO in the second round of his MMA bout against Silver Maake. Maake was a replacement fighter and the too brought a full force collision at the start. Maake would duck and counter the stalking Hudson, connecting on a punch that stunned him once. Hudson used a sweeping leg kick to bring Maake down at the ropes. In round two Maake landed two good jabs as Hudson advanced but in a grapple Hudson commanded a choke hold and Maake tapped out.

Bout six featured two of Juneau’s fighting clubs. Christian Rotola (3-0-0), 155-pounds, from Complete Warrior Academy, and Tyrel Kleinsmith (0-1-0), 165-pounds, of Team Counter Strike. Kleinsmith brought the first heated advance in their one and only MMA round but Rotola stood his ground, put his opponent on the mat, pummeled him from a sitting position and applied a rear-naked choke forcing Kleinsmith to tap out.

The semi main event featured another Ketchikan Duckworth, but this result went to the Juneau fighter. Joshua “Tongan Mamba” Lehaull 9-0-0), 218-pounds, won a unanimous three-round dirty boxing decision over Gabe “Steel” Duckworth (31-6-0) 265-pounds. Duckworth started with two good kicks but Lehaull countered with a knee to the stomach and had the top position for ten seconds with multiple punches. Round two featured Duckworth’s shirt half ripped off, his nose bloodied and his mouth piece knocked out but he ended with two riding 10 second counts. In round three Lehaull got the advantage by keeping pressure on a standing choke hold. Both fighters did not back down and threw plenty of punches and kicks.

Alaska Beatdown next brings a full card to Centennial Hall on September 28 with the Main Event being Ketchikan’s Tyson Duckworth against Fairbanks’ Eddie Hoch for a $1,000 purse and the Lightweight Championship belt.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback






Mon, 05/21/2018 - 06:08

JDHS, TMHS baseball earn sweeps