• Ice Skating Lessons by the Juneau Skating Club, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Treadwell Ice Arena. The Juneau Skating Club offers ice skating lessons for both figure skating and hockey skating. Basic Skills classes are offered at all skill levels on Fridays and Saturdays, and Hockey Skating Skills are on Sundays. Classes for Tots (4 and up), Youth, and Adults. See the JSC web site for schedules and to register online. Four 6-week sessions are offered, with the first session starting the week of September 17th. Register online before September 17th to receive a discount.
• Orca Youth Open House, 5-7 p.m., Twin Lakes. SAIL’s ORCA program is hosting an open house for youth grades 2-12. ORCA provides year-round adaptive pursuits for people who experience disabilities. Current and prospective participants and their families are welcome to take part in free kayak rides, adaptive bike/trike demos, food, music and information. For details call 586-0104.
• High School Sports - JDHS volleyball vs. Ketchikan Kings at JDHS, 8 p.m. (JV 6:15, C 4:30).
Saturday, Sept. 22
• High School Sports - Region V Cross Country Running Championships, 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. on Juneau’s Treadwell Mines Trails at Sandy Beach; Thunder Mountain Falcons Football vs. Sitka at TMHS, 7 p.m., Homecoming Night; JDHS Volleyball vs. Ketchikan Kings at JDHS 7 p.m. (JV 5:15, C 3:30).
Sunday, Sept. 23
• Juneau Jumper Tryouts, 3-5 p.m., Glacier Valley Elementary School. The Juneau Jumpers invite interested youth, grades 3 and up, to attend three tryout sessions. During the first two (Sept. 23 and 30), skills and routines will be taught. The last session (Oct. 7) will be the actual tryout session. All sessions are held in the Glacier Valley elementary School gym from 3-5 p.m. Contact Karen at 321-8987 for more information.
• Basketball Officials Meetings, every Tuesday (October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and November 6) from 6-8 p.m., room C105 at Thunder Mountain High School. Interested referees for Ordway League encouraged to attend. Meetings continue until Nov. 6 For information contact Joel Osburn 209-7897 (eve.) or Dave Pusich 586-5226 (days).
Wednesday, Sept. 26
• Midnight Suns Arena Ball 2012 registration, 3-5:45 p.m. on Wednesday at Dimond Park Fieldhouse. Register for Midnight Suns boys and girls baseball and softball programs. For more details call 523-8042.
Saturday, Sept. 29
• Juneau Rollergirls vs. Babes In Toyland, 7 p.m. at Centennial Hall. The Juneau Rollergirls are back for their second season of roller derby. Join them as they take on Babes In Toyland, an up-and-coming league from North Pole. Must be 21 or older or with a parent to attend. No-host bar will be provided by the Rendezvous. Tickets go on sale Friday, Sept. 21 online and at Hearthside Books, Rainy Retreat Books and the JACC, $20 in advance, $22 at the door. The league will be donating 5 percent of proceeds to a local non-profit. The bout starts at 7 p.m., doors open at 6:15, unredeemed tickets will be released 15 minutes after the bout begins. More information at juneaurollergirls.com.
• Free Entrance Day, 8 a.m. Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. Fee waiver includes: entrance fees, commercial tour fees, and transportation entrance fees. Other fees such as reservation, camping, tours, concession and fees collected by third parties are not included unless stated otherwise.
Sunday, September 30
• NRA High Power Rifle Match, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Hank Harmon Rifle Range. registration begins at 8:30 a.m., first shots at 9:30 a.m. This event has three separate divisions: NRA High Power Rifle, Sporting Rifle and F Class Rifle. Cost is $5-$25, first time competitors shoot for free. For details call 789-9025, 789-1717 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Midnight Suns Baseball Club registration. The Midnight Suns Baseball Club will be holding their annual registration for the 2012-13 season. Registration will take place on Sunday, September 30 from 3-5 p.m. at the Dimond Park Field House. All children ages 8-18 interested in advancing their baseball skills are invited to attend. The membership fee for players is $200. For info go to www.midnightsunsbaseball.com or call Andy 209-4567.