A lot of exciting events are happening around Juneau this week. Juneau-Douglas High School is hosting the Region V tennis tournament, the JDHS soccer programs have a Thursday fundraising clinic, Crimson Bears spikers are playing Mt. Edgecumbe, The Thunder Mountain Falcons football team is hosting a California squad for their senior night ceremony on Friday, the vicious and vivacious Juneau Roller Girls are hosting the North Pole Babes In Toyland on Saturday, and the Geezers have their Sunday run. Plus there are registrations and meetings galore. Check out the schedule below:
• Basketball Officials Meetings, every Tuesday (October 2, 9, 16, 23, 30 and November 6) from 6-8 p.m., room C105 at Thunder Mountain High School. Interested referees for Ordway League encouraged to attend. Meetings continue until Nov. 6 For information contact Joel Osburn 209-7897 (eve.) or Dave Pusich 586-5226 (days).
• Middle School Invitational cross country race at Sandy Beach, 4 p.m. Middle School harriers from around Southeast invited but will mostly be composed of Dzantik’i Heeni, Floyd Dryden, Juneau Community Charter School and Montessori Borealis runners.
• Midnight Suns Arena Ball 2012 registration, 3-5:45 p.m. on Wednesday at Dimond Park Fieldhouse. Register for Midnight Suns boys and girls baseball and softball programs. For more details call 523-8042.
• The Treadwell Coalition will old formative meeting, 6:30-8 p.m. at the Douglas Firehall/Library/Conference Room. The Treadwell Coalition is a group dedicated to the protection and enhancement of the Treadwell Ice Arena. A meeting will be held to discuss building the much-needed second ice-sheet at the existing Treadwell Arena. For details contact Robert Sewell, Robert.email@example.com or 723-0147.
• High School Tennis. Wednesday through Saturday. Alaska School Activities Association (ASAA) Region V Tennis Tournament at the Alaska Club, valley location. Hosted by Juneau-Douglas High School. For info call 523-1580.
• 15th Annual JDHS Soccer Clinic. Parents bring your kids out to play on their day off from school (Teacher Inservice). The Juneau-Douglas High School Crimson Bears boys and girls soccer programs will be hosting a soccer clinic at the Dimond Park Field House on Thursday. The clinic is a fundraiser for the 2013 high school season. Clinic times are 9 a.m.-12 noon for ages five-eight, and 1-4 p.m. for ages eight-12. Cost is $30.
• High School Volleyball. Juneau-Douglas Crimson Bears host the Mt. Edgecumbe Braves at JDHS. Varsity game 6:15 p.m. (JV 4:30).
• High School Football. Thunder Mountain Falcons host California’s Argonaut Mustangs at 7 p.m. Falcons Senior Night recognitions.
• Juneau Rollergirls vs. Babes In Toyland, 7 p.m. at Centennial Hall. The Juneau Rollergirls are back for their second season of roller derby. Join them as they take on Babes In Toyland, an up-and-coming league from North Pole. Must be 21 or older or with a parent to attend. No-host bar will be provided by the Rendezvous. Tickets go on sale Friday, Sept. 21 online and at Hearthside Books, Rainy Retreat Books and the JACC, $20 in advance, $22 at the door. The league will be donating 5 percent of proceeds to a local non-profit. The bout starts at 7 p.m., doors open at 6:15, unredeemed tickets will be released 15 minutes after the bout begins. More information at juneaurollergirls.com.
• Free Entrance Day, 8 a.m., Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve; and Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. Fee waiver includes: entrance fees, commercial tour fees, and transportation entrance fees. Other fees such as reservation, camping, tours, concession and fees collected by third parties are not included unless stated otherwise.
• Cosmic Bowling, 8 p.m., Taku Lanes. Two hours of bowling with chances to win free games, music, black lights and more. $15.75. In at 586-1595.
Sunday, September 30
• Midnight Suns Fast-pitch Softball Registration, 3 p.m., Riverbend Elementary School. Fall registration and parent informational meeting along with team calendar photo will take place at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 30. All girls ages 8 to 16 are welcome to participate. Forms and information are available at www.midnightsuns.org. Details call 523-8042.
• Juneau Jumper Tryouts, 3-5 p.m., Glacier Valley Elementary School. The Juneau Jumpers invite interested youth, grades 3 and up, to attend three tryout sessions. During the first two (Sept. 23 and 30), skills and routines will be taught. The last session (Oct. 7) will be the actual tryout session. All sessions are held in the Glacier Valley elementary School gym from 3-5 p.m. No cost. Contact Karen at 321-8987 for more information.
• NRA High Power Rifle Match, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Hank Harmon Rifle Range. registration begins at 8:30 a.m., first shots at 9:30 a.m. This event has three separate divisions: NRA High Power Rifle, Sporting Rifle and F Class Rifle. Cost is $5-$25, first time competitors shoot for free. For details call 789-9025, 789-1717 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Geezer’s Run, 7:30 a.m., meet at Back Loop/Dredge Lake parking lot. 90-120 minute trail run. Although this group is based on a make-up of runners from a very good Klondike Road Relay team in that event’s innaugural year, it has expanded to welcome all abilities. Starting points alternate on Sundays between Downtown (Bill Ray Center) and the Valley (UAS in the winter, Dredge Lake in the summer).
Wednesday, Oct. 3
• Ordway Basketball Team Registration, 5 p.m., CBJ Assembly Chambers. Juneau Parks And Recreation Ordway Basketball Team Registration will be conducted at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17 in the Assembly Chambers. Late sign-ups will be taken on Friday, Oct. 19 at the Parks and Recreation office. For details call 586-5226.
• Sports In Juneau information must be submitted online at http://calendar.juneauempire.com. Submissions via email, phone, fax or other will no longer be accepted. Email email@example.com for more information.