Action, action, action begins today for local sports as the high school junior varsity volleyball teams square off at Thunder Mountain High School at 7 p.m., with C team action at 5:15. Also, officials are needed so please consider attending the basketball officials meetings every Tuesday in October and Novermber 6th.
The High school swims teams will “duel” in a “dual” meet at the Dimond Park Aquatic Center on Friday and Saturday (6 p.m. and 3 p.m. respectively). With a number of the Top 16 swimmers in the state on the Crimson Bears and Falcons rosters this should be fun to watch.
Also on Saturday, the annual Walk A Mile In Her Shoes 1K-Walk (in high heels) and 5K-Run (preferably in in sneakers) will begin at 9 a.m. at Sandy Beach. The event is to bring awareness to the many victims of domestic violenc and sexual assualt. October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and this event is a great activity to show support. See the following events schedule for upcoming activities:
• Junior Varsity High School Volleyball, 7 p.m., TMHS JV vs. JDHS JV at TMHS. The C teams play at 5:15 p.m.
• Basketball Officials Meetings, every Tuesday (October 9, 16, 23, 30 and November 6) from 6-8 p.m., room C105 at Thunder Mountain High School. Interested referees for Ordway League encouraged to attend. Meetings continue until Nov. 6 For information contact Joel Osburn 209-7897 (eve.) or Dave Pusich 586-5226 (days).
• High School Swimming, 6 p.m., TMHS Falcons host JDHS Crimson Bears at Dimond Park Aquatics Center.
• Yoga For Those Experiencing Homelessness In Juneau, 3-4 p.m., at Rainforest Yoga. Instructors from Rainforest Yoga offer this free beginning yoga class for those experiencing homelessness in Juneau. Classes involve simple breathing exercises and stretching. Possible benefits of yoga include a coalmer mind, less anxiety, and decreased physical pain. The class is appropriate for all ages, and will support coping with stress and trauma. Classes are free and began on Sept. 28 and will be held every Friday. Please call 586-4159 for more information.
Saturday, Oct. 13
• Walk A Mile In Her Shoes, 9 a.m., at Sandy Beach. 1k walk or 5k run to bring awareness to the many victims of domestic violence and sexual assault and our resolve to end it. Held in October, Domestic Vilence Awareness Month. The walk portion is done in high heels, the run portion in running shoes. Pre-registration at Nugget Alaskan Outfitter, Pavitt Health & Fitness, The Alaska Club (both locations), and online at www.awareak.org
• High School Swimming, 3 p.m., TMHS Falcons host JDHS Crimson Bears at Dimond Park Aquatics Center.
• Cosmic Bowling, 8 p.m., Taku Lanes. Two hours of bowling with chances to win free games, music, black lights and more. $15.75. In at 586-1595.
• Cycle Alaska Free Clinics, 1 p.m., every Saturday at Cycle Alaska. This week’s is indoor trainers. (Oct. 20 - safety checks. Oct. 27 - cleaning your bike).
Wednesday, Oct. 17
• Ordway Basketball Team Registration, 5 p.m., CBJ Assembly Chambers. Juneau Parks And Recreation Ordway Basketball Team Registration will be conducted at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 17 in the Assembly Chambers. Late sign-ups will be taken on Friday, Oct. 19 at the Parks and Recreation office. For details call 586-5226.
Friday, Oct. 19
• Yoga Workshop with Sarah Joy Marsh, 5:30 p.m., Aldersgate United Methodist Church. Three day workshop with Portland teacher includes breathing and mindfulness techniques, postures, and meditation. Come to any of the four classes being offered. View full schedule at www.rainforestyoga.org. Details 209-8289.
Friday, Oct. 26
• Women’s Classic Basketball, 6:15 p.m., Juneau Parks & Recreation. WCB is for those who enjoy basketball and want to play for fun, on an organized team, but with women who are a little older or new to the game. Aggressive play is strongly discouraged in the women’s classic league. Registration forms are due by Oct. 26. For more information visit website www.juneau.org/parkrec/adult/classic.php or call 586-5226. $50
Sunday, Oct. 21
• NRA High Power Rifle Match, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Hank Harmon Rifle Range. registration begins at 8:30 a.m., first shots at 9:30 a.m. This event has three separate divisions: NRA High Power Rifle, Sporting Rifle and F Class Rifle. Cost is $5-$25, first time competitors shoot for free. For details call 789-9025, 789-1717 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Sports In Juneau information must be submitted online at http://calendar.juneauempire.com.