Sports enthusiasts will have a smorgasboard, well okay, a Gatorade Variety Pack of events to check out this weekend.
Starting tonight with the top high school swimmers from around Southeast coming to battle Juneau-Douglas and Thunder Mountain at the Dimond Park Aquatic Center through Saturday. The Juneau Youth Football League Championships on Friday and Saturday, plus skating, yoga and bowling and the annual Walk A Mile In Her Shoes. Come check out a few of the local high school teams strutting their best high heels for a worthy cause.
See times and days below:
Friday, Oct. 12
• Juneau Youth Football League, 6:30 p.m., Junior Division Championship pitting Spartans against the Wolverines at Adair Kennedy Field.
• High School Swimming, 6 p.m., TMHS Falcons hosts JDHS Crimson Bears, Petersburg, Ketchikan, Sitka, Haines, Metlakatla and Craig at Dimond Park Aquatics Center.
• Yoga For Those Experiencing Homelessness In Juneau, 3-4 p.m., at Rainforest Yoga. Instructors from Rainforest Yoga offer this free beginning yoga class for those experiencing homelessness in Juneau. Classes involve simple breathing exercises and stretching. Possible benefits of yoga include a coalmer mind, less anxiety, and decreased physical pain. The class is appropriate for all ages, and will support coping with stress and trauma. Classes are free and began on Sept. 28 and will be held every Friday. Please call 586-4159 for more information.
Saturday, Oct. 13
• Walk A Mile In Her Shoes, 9 a.m., at Sandy Beach. 1k walk or 5k run to bring awareness to the many victims of domestic violence and sexual assault and our resolve to end it. Held in October, Domestic Vilence Awareness Month. The walk portion is done in high heels, the run portion in running shoes. Pre-registration at Nugget Alaskan Outfitter, Pavitt Health & Fitness, The Alaska Club (both locations), and online at www.awareak.org.
• Juneau Youth Football League, 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Cub Division Championship pitting Seahawks against Cowboys (10 a.m.); Senior Division Championship pitting Hawkeyes against Hurricanes (12:30 p.m.) at Adair Kennedy Field
• High School Swimming, 4:30 p.m., TMHS Falcons host JDHS Crimson Bears, Petersburg, Ketchikan, Sitka, Haines, Metlakatla and Craig at Dimond Park Aquatics Center.
• Cosmic Bowling, 8 p.m., Taku Lanes. Two hours of bowling with chances to win free games, music, black lights and more. $15.75. In at 586-1595.
• Cycle Alaska Free Clinics, 1 p.m., every Saturday at Cycle Alaska. This week’s is indoor trainers. (Oct. 20 - safety checks. Oct. 27 - cleaning your bike).
Sunday, Oct. 14
• Intro To Skate Class, 1-3 p.m., Marie Drake Gym. The public is invited to learn the basic quad-skating skills with our local roller derby team, the Juneau Rollergirls. The class will be held from 1-3 p.m. every Sunday at Marie Drake through Dec. 16. All you need is gear and a smile. Registration is $40 for the whole class. Sign up with Community Schools at 523-1552. Get more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. Children are welcome with adult supervision.