All fight cards impress at Alaska Beatdown

Dehling, LeHauli, McGill and Edenshaw highlight the night

“It’s about time” was a phrase mouthed by supporters of 145-pound mixed martial artist Henry “Hi-Def” Dehling at Friday nights Alaska Beatdown in Centennial Hall.


Dehling wasted little time in providing a textbook showing against 150-pound Patrick Carillo who was making his first ring appearance.

There is no way Dehling should have a record of 10-5-0, unless those five losses have come against Madison Square Garden or MGM Grand opponents.

Dehling traded a few up right jabs with Carillo at the bell, defended a take down attempt in the, and then went down on the canvas with Carillo, bleeding and swelling from his left eye, on top.

Dehling locked in a triangle choke that caused Carillo to tap out.

The win is just making fight fans salivate for Dehling to win the Southeast title over Ketchikan’s Kevin Duckworth down the road.

All the bouts on the fight card played out aggressively.

The anticipated heavyweight main event pitted Goals Gym fighter Josh “Tongan Mamba LeHauli (11-0-0), 218-pounds, against Complete Warrior Academy’s Thomas “The Terror” Tajon (2-1), 227 pounds.

The two went toe to toe at the start until LeHauli body slammed Tajon to the mat and landed punches from on top until weary.

Round two went even with Tajon having the advantage with better punches until LeHauli landed a big front kick, staggering Tajon to the mat again with LeHauli taking top position until the bell.

In the final round LeHauli began to dominate from the ground. Tajon went to high trying to ride and LeHauli slipped out the back, landed a kick that put Tajon against the ropes and onto the mat where he threw punches until exhausted.

Both fighters stood for the final charge and Tajon came into meet a LeHauli left jab that put him on his knees. LeHauli then applied a guillotine choke that forced Tajon to tap out.

Sitka Fight Club’s Chuck McGill (1-0), 170-pounds, went to the mat a few times, all offensive, in his demolition of the CWA’s Mike “The Wrench” Morris (5-2-0), 170-pounds. McGill landed a front kick that backed up the aggressive Morris to the mat and threw punches from the top.

The two shifted positions but it was apparent McGill didn’t like blood dripping onto his face and escaped to standing. McGill then took full mount position and threw punches at a defenseless Morris until the referee stopped the bout.

The top boxing match saw Josh White (3-3-0), 146-pounds, earn a split decision win over Team Counter Strike’s Timmy Flood (0-1) 149-pounds. White had the better in-and-out movement in round one while Flood had a crisp left jab.

Flood had an advantage working the jab in round two until White landed a big roundhouse and became the stalking aggressor.

In round three White forced a standing eight count on Flood but couldn’t finish him off with a knock out.

Thunder Mountain alum Jackson Pavitt (1-0), 155-pounds, broke into the MMA ranks with nice bout against Mason Baker. The two fighters actually were good friends from JDHS until Pavitt went to the valley to don Falcons’ blue and silver. Pavitt left Baker feeling black and blue, using his superior ground control to lock in a rear naked choke and force Baker to tap out.

The signature move of the night must have been Team Counter Strike’s triangle choke and it was used to perfection by Clifford “C-Weezy” White (5-1), 160-pounds, in a dirty boxing win over Tyler “The Talon” Allen (4-3), 165-pounds.

Allen threw White hard to the mat at the opening bell and looked to have control. Instead, White let the aggressive Allen settle into a spider’s web of trouble, grabbing his arm and locking his legs around Allen’s neck to force a tap out.

One of the best new comers on the scene brought a show case MMA bout to the ring. Hydaburg’s basketball star, and recent graduate, Anthony Edenshaw (1-0), 169-pounds went toe-to-toe and arm-lock-to-arm-lock with crowd favorite Gerry Carrillo, a former JDHS wrestler and competent MMA grappler.

The bout went three rounds with Carrillo taking the early advantage. Edenshaw survived round one using his wrestling escapes to get out and throw punches.

In round two it looked like Edenshaw would be out of action as Carrillo let loose with a full front kick that landed very low. Instead Edenshaw became even more solid in the ring, becoming impossible to be thrown or turned on the ground and drawing a good flow of blood from Carrillo. In round three Carrillo twice turned his back to Edenshaw’s punches, a sign that he was tiring, and he judges awarded a unanimous decision to Edenshaw at the bell.

Jason McDonald (1-2), 185-pounds, was leading against Sean Prebeg (1-2), 255-pounds in a heavyweight MMA bout when he suffered a knee injury and could not finish. Referees at first ruled a no contest and the Juneau Empire did not receive clarification on the matter.

The first bout of the night was hyped because the two combatants have received an exorbitant number of web views for their last posted fight. In that web gem Wayne “Kung Fu” Smallwood (record unknown) 153-pounds, knocked out Paul “The Eskimo” Lee (1-3) 137-pounds. On Friday, however, it was a web redemption for Lee who wailed away with Smallwood, blooding his nose and earning the split decision.

The next Alaska Beatdown is scheduled for December 21.


  • Switchboard: 907-586-3740
  • Circulation and Delivery: 907-586-3740
  • Newsroom Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Business Fax: 907-586-9097
  • Accounts Receivable: 907-523-2230
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback






Thu, 06/21/2018 - 15:11

Revamped Fools Run set for Saturday

Thu, 06/21/2018 - 07:17

Checking in with Naomi Welling

Little League names all-star teams

The Gastineau Channel Little League announced on Sunday and Monday the Major Baseball, Major Softball and Junior Baseball and Junior Softball all-star teams.

Read more