The 1921-22 Douglas High School Huskies enjoyed their third straight season of defeating channel neighbor Juneau en route to winning the undisputed Senior Championship of Southeastern Alaska and the High School Championship.
According to the Douglas Taku, “There were no stars, and we had little need of them when we can turn out such a winning team as we have.”
This year will feature the graduation of the old “steadies” that have helped the team win the championship the past three seasons: center Art Nelson, center/guard William Manley, and forward Harold Gallwas. Clarence Wiitanen was back with his accurate basket-shooting and all-round teamwork. Jimmy Manning made a brilliant showing, Albert Garn used his old-time fast teamwork and excellent shooting, and George Valeson was an anchor at guard.
Play began with wins over teams attending the A.N.B. Convention held in Douglas. Sitka fell 31-7; and Bayview, a team comprised of ANB delegates from several towns, went down 43-13 and 48-17.
The Douglas Fire Department went down next 24-16; then the “Lynn Canal Champs” 40-10 and the “First City Boys” 49-19; then Haines was rocked at the Natatorium 76-6.
Douglas H. S. would win 16 of 18 games on the season. The only set back came on a rough sea voyage on the gas boat “Judge” heading for Ketchikan.
Stopping in Wrangell, the Huskies tied WHS 22-22. Douglas offered to play off the tie or play the next night but WHS refused. Sixteen fouls were called on Douglas while just six went against Wrangell. Douglas made just two goals and Wrangell one.
The next night the Wrangell Town Team defeated Douglas 23-19. Again, 19 fouls were called on the Huskies and just eight on the home Wolves. Wrangell made 13 foul shots while Douglas hit three.
Then on to Ketchikan our brave lads sojourned and defeated a mixed team of town and high school players 25-14, and then the undisputed champs of that district, the Metlakatla Town Team 21-18. The Metlakatla school boys fell the next night 26-12.
Stopping in Petersburg, the Douglas boys stifled “snus town” 76-18.
Douglas defeated Juneau four times that season: 18-5 in Juneau, 40-10 at the Natatorium, 32-22 in Juneau and 48-11.
Douglas beat the Juneau City Team 22-11 for the Championship of Southeastern Alaska for their season finale.
During 1921 the Alaska Road Commission announced the completion of the branch road from Glacier Highway to Mendenhall Glacier on August 4. The branch left the main road at Duck Creek near Mendenhall Dairy and ran to the glacier. The road formed part of the eventual loop to cross the Mendenhall River and run past Auk Lake to Auk Bay.
On De. 9 another local industry was launched with candy manufacturing by Elmer E. Smith and Harry J. Fisher in the Behrends Building on the ferry wharf. The product included chocolates, bonbons and coated nuts and fruits and was marketed as S. & F. Confections. Elmer’s Ice Cream Parlor was the retail outlet in Juneau.
On Jan. 2, 1922 Juneau merchant patrolman Johnnie Harris reported that during the past year he has found 153 doors in the business district that were left unlocked at night.
On Feb. 9, 1922 Thousands of dollars in damage was done in Juneau and Douglas by the Taku wind. The Zynda Hotel’s 12 by 50-foot sign broke through several windows and took down the 2300-volt power line. The Juneau Shotgun and Rifle Club’s clubhouse in Last Chance Basin was blown to pieces. Windows in the Valentine Building and the Juneau Company and display cases in the Brunswick Building were broken. The Winter &Pond Company lost half of its tarpaper roof and three chimneys. The Juneau Lumber Mills lost three smokestacks and their whistle. Boats were swamped on the waterfront and telephone service was out. Advertising signs disappeared on the wind. The Douglas Congregational Church’s large leaded glass window was smashed and the streets were littered with broken glass on both sides of the channel.
On April 25, 1922, Alaska Juneau mine shift boss E. C. Kilburn returned on the steamer Queen with 40 men from the mines at Hyder. The Alaska Juneau planned to go on three shifts on May 1 and needed more hard rock miners.
On June 24, 1922, the Douglas Island Women’s Club raised $85 to be used to provide more adequate fire escapes for the Douglas school building.
The Stroller’s Weekly, the successor to the Douglas Island News, had a yearly subscription cost of $3.
Billy Lott is the proprietor of the Arctic Bath House and Barber Shop, which features Turkish, Steam, Shower and Tub Baths. Located on lower Front St. at Van Atta’s old stand.
Emilio Uberti is manager of the Hunter Hotel (Douglas). Nicely furnished, 15 rooms, tobaccos and soft drinks, pool, billiards, and barbershop.
The Juneau Music House had Anything In Music, including Caruso Red Seal Records, “We now have in stock many records of the incomparable voice of the world’s greatest tenor. Call and make your selection while they last.” Elmer E. Smith proprietor and W. J. McDonald manager.
The Gastineau Hotel and Cafe stated, “You can eliminate coal heaving, ash hauling, carpet sweeping, bed making, tub scouring, light/water/phone and fuel bills, getting up freezing to death in the morning, shaving with and bathing in cold water, and washing your own dishes... just by rooming and eating through the winter with us.”
H. B. Makino ran the Japanese Toy Shop on Front Street.
The Liberty theater was showing “Soldiers of Fortune,” a red blooded romance featuring Swedish model Anna Q. Nilsson, Wallace Beery, and Ogden Crane.
The Alaskan Hotel had 40 nicely furnished rooms (proprietors were Miller & Pusich), a cafe and auto service.
Alaska-Gastineau Mining Company in Thane was selling second hand material including pulleys, water wheel equipment, small blowers, etc.