A look at what is happening in Juneau today and through the week. Don’t “pass-up” the Black Friday Basketball Classic or JAHA hockey, both today. A great way to lose some calories by cheering for your favorite hoops team from around southeast or your favorite local adult hockey team. Basketball at Thunder Mountain and hockey at Treadwell Arena. See details below.
• ORCA seeking Ski and Snowboard volunteers for 2013 Winter season. Southeast Alaska Independent Living’s (SAIL) ORCA program is currently soliciting volunteers to help provide individuals who experience disabilities the opportunity to recreate in an inclusive, accessible environment. Volunteers are needed for the ski and snowboard season and ORCA will provide instruction and ski buddies for alpine and Nordic skiing, as well as snowboarding. Volunteers have the opportunity to earn free Eaglecrest lift tickets through their volunteer efforts. There will be a “meet and greet” info night at the Rookery Cafe Nov. 30, 5-6 p.m. For mor information visit www.sailinc.org or email email@example.com or phone 586-4920. Volunteers must attend Dec. 15-16 training days (Jan. make-up session TBA).
Today, Nov. 25
• Black Friday Basketball Classic, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., at Thunder Mountain High School. Adult and high school teams from Southeast in final day of play. Championship games.
• Intro To Skate Class, 1-3 p.m., Marie Drake Gym. The public is invited to learn the basic quad-skating skills with our local roller derby team, the Juneau Rollergirls. The class will be held from 1-3 p.m. every Sunday at Marie Drake through Dec. 16. All you need is gear and a smile. Registration is $40 for the whole class. Sign up with Community Schools at 523-1552. Get more information at firstname.lastname@example.org. Children are welcome with adult supervision.
• JAHA playoffs. Tier X, 7:45p.m. GM5 - Winner GM1 vs Winner GM3 // Tier 40, 9p.m. GM3 - Winner GM1 vs Winner GM2 // Tier C, 5:15p.m. GM5 - Winner GM1 vs Winner GM3 / 6:30p.m. GM6 -Loser GM3 vs Winner GM4 // Women, 4p.m. GM3 - Winner GM1 vs Winner GM2.
• International Dance Evening, 6-8 p.m., Alaska Club Downtown. The public is invited to participate in an evening of folk dancing every Sunday at the downtown Alaska Club. Everyone welcome, no partner required, no charge. For more info call 364-2334.
Thursday, Nov. 29
• Middle School Basketball, 3:30 p.m., Floyd Dryden Eagles’ girls at the Dzantik’i Heeni Wolverines. The DZ boys at FD boys. Order of all games are A team, B team and finishing with the C team contests.
• Cycle Alaska Adventure series, 5:30-7 p.m., Slacker Cycling. A Bike Trip Through Exoctic Western North America by Mike Tobine, at Cycle Alaska. Tobine’s 4400 milesummer trip through Western US and Canada. “Slacker Cycling is about traveling well within your strength and endurance, traveling comfortably, and taking care of yourself as you go.”
Saturday, Dec. 1
• Girls On The Run 5K Fun Run, 10 a.m., Dimond Park Field House. Girls On The Run will be culminating their 12-week after school training in healthy living through a fun run celebration. The public is invited to help celebrate their accomplishments. Festivities and snacks begin at 10 a.m., Kids Dash at 10:30 a.m., and the 5 kilometer Fun Run begins at 11 a.m. For more information contact Julie O’Neil at AWARE at 586-6623. Event is free.
• Cycle Alaska Free Clinics, 1 p.m., at Cycle Alaska. “Boxing Your Bike Up For Shipping.” The event is free and open to the public. For a full listing of all upcoming clinics, go online to www.cycleak.com or call 780-2253.
• Juneau Rollergirls, 7 p.m., Centennial Hall. The JRG’s Kilkats and Raven Lunatics battle it out in the Tinsel Town Knock Down. No-host bar by The Rendezvous.Tickets go on sale Fri. Nov. 23 online at juneaurollergirls.com and at Hearthside Books, Rainy Retreat Books and the JACC. Adults $20 advance, $22 at door. Children (12 and under) $15 advance, $16 door. Must be 21 or older or with a guardian to attend. League is donating 5-percent of proceeds to the Red Cross. Doors open at 6:15. Bring a toy to donate to the Great Alaska Toy Drive.
Wed. Dec. 5 - Sat. Dec. 8
• Middle School Basketball “Icebreaker Tournament” at Dzantik’i Heeni & Floyd Dryden. Teams from Southeast AK attending.
Monday, Dec. 17 - Dec. 31
• Holiday Cup 2012, 5 p.m., Dimond Park Field House. The 20th Annual Holiday Cup Soccer Tournament will be held from Dec. 17-31. There are six coed divisions: Elementary (age 9 minimum); Middle School; High School (2 divisions); Masters; and Classics. Get registration materials and more information at www.juneaudouglasholidaycup.com. Teams must submit a roster by 5 p.m. on Nov. 26, drop-off is at the Law Offices of Dillon & Findley, 350 N. Franklin Street or email email@example.com - Team Entries only. Youth Divisions are free. All info on website. Details 586-4000.
• Sports In Juneau information must be submitted online at http://calendar.juneauempire.com.