Friday, Jan. 18
8 p.m., JDHS host Colony Knights at Treadwell Ice Arena.
8 p.m., JDHS girls vs. TMHS at JDHS (JV 6:15).
6 p.m., G.S.C. Open, 14-older and masters swim meet at Dimond Park Aquatics Center (4:30 p.m. warm-ups).
Saturday, Jan. 19
10:30 a.m., Juneau Ski Club, Kombi giant slalom/slalom, open to all USSA licensed skiers. At Eaglecrest. Course inspection 9:30-10 a.m. Lower Hilary’s.
9 a.m., G.S.C. Open, 14-older and masters swim meet at Dimond Park Aquatics Center (7:30 a.m. warm-ups).
4:30 p.m., G.S.C. Open (3 p.m. warm-ups).
12:30 p.m., Juneau’s Southeast Alaska Gymnastics Academy state qualification meet at academy gym, 12:30 for girls level 3 & 4; 3 p.m. for girls level 5 & up and boys.
7 p.m., JDHS vs. Colony at Treadwell Arena.
8 p.m., JDHS girls host TMHS at JDHS (JV 6:15 p.m., JD C vs. Hooptime 4 p.m.)
Sunday, Jan. 20
12:30 p.m., 2013 Juneau Nordic Cup Race Series, 5 or 10 kilometer Freestyle Frenzie, at Eaglecrest A-Frame Lower Nordic Loop.
• Submit events to the Sports In Juneau calendar by going online to events.juneauempire.com
Friday, Jan. 18 - Saturday, Jan. 19
• Glacier Swim Club Open masters swim meet. A USA Swimming and USA Masters Swimming sanctioned meet for ages 14 through adult. Watch local masters swimmers competing for the first time, seasoned masters looking to improve times and current G.S.C swimmers zeroing in on club records or personal best times. Fri. warm-ups 4:30 p.m., races start 6 p.m. / Sat. 7:30 a.m. warm-ups, races start 9 a.m. / Sat. Eve. warm-ups 3 p.m., races start 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 19
• Juneau Ski Club Youth Racing, 10:30 a.m., Kombi event, women and men U12-U21 and seniors, open to all USSA licensed alpine skiers. Kombi (giant slalom/slalom) consists of mixture of standard turns and gates that test the skiers ability to react and adapt to changing rhythm and turn radius. Two runs on Lower Hilary’s. First run at 10:30 a.m., second run immediately after, should be completed by noon. Bib pick up at 9 a.m. in Race Room. Course inspection 9:30-10 a.m. $30 per Kombi.
• Cycle Alaska clinic, 1 p.m. at Cycle Alaska. Learn how to install a gear cable. In Juneau with the wet weather conditions this is somethign every rider should know. Free.
Sunday, Jan. 20
• 2013 Juneau Nordic Cup Race Series. The Freestyle Frenzie, 12:30 p.m., a freestyle race of 5 or 10 kilometers starting at the Eaglecrest A-Frame and moving along the Lower Nordic Loop. Open to the public. Must register. For more information contact Merry at 500-8112 or Jeannie at 463-3783.
Saturday, Jan. 26
• Coaches needed. Girls On The Run is looking for volunteer coaches. All new coaches must attend a one day coaches training workshop, commit to coaching 1-2 times a week for 12 weeks and have a desire to work with girls 8-14 years old. Training for new coaches will be held on Jan. 26. The Spring season starts up the first week in Feb. and will be in five elementary schools and both middle schools in Juneau. Girls On The Run is a 12-week, 24-lesson afterschool program that combines an interactive curriculum and running to provide girls with the tools they need to make positive decisions and to avoid risky adolescent behaviors. For more information contact Julie Walker at AWARE, 586-6623, firstname.lastname@example.org and to learn more about Girls On The Run go to www.girlsontherun.org.
Saturday, Feb. 16
• Juneau Rollergirls welcome back the Yukon Rollergirls for a rematch bout called “A Love/Skate Relationship,” on February 16th at Centennial Hall, doors open at 6:15 p.m. and wheels roll at 7 p.m. Tickets go on sale Friday, Feb. 1 online (juneaurollergirls.com & jahc.org) and at Hearthside Books, Rainy Retreat Books an the JACC. Adult tickets $18 in advance, $20 at the door. Children’s tickets available for (12 and under) $15 in advance, $17 at door. Must be 21 or older or with a guardian to attend. The league will be donating five percent of proceeds to the Front Street Clinic. No-host bar provided by the Rendezvous.